Clutch gone after 2 months......

Lots of brands pull this crap nowadays! And to the others who mentioned attorneys, they are right! It's sad you have to come to the fight with guns blazing when there could have been a peace treaty!

Just went through this on my 130k corvette zr1...dealer forgot to install a center front splitter bracket during pre-delivery inspection. I was going 160mph and the splitter came off and grinded on the road...the splitter is a full carbon fiber piece that costs over 2k. Initially they told me I had to pay for it! I was able to provide evidence that the front splitter bracket was not installed at the originating dealer (the originating dealer had facebook posts with car pics that showed the piece was NOT installed).

With that evidence and an attorney GM decided to step up and pay. Imagine that! They paid my attorneys fees as well.

Go for the jugular! Once they know you aint playing, they wont play with you!
It looks like the days of bargaining in good faith are gone. It should not be this way but if it is then you might have to play the game.:mad:

Lots of brands pull this crap nowadays! And to the others who mentioned attorneys, they are right! It's sad you have to come to the fight with guns blazing when there could have been a peace treaty!

Just went through this on my 130k corvette zr1...dealer forgot to install a center front splitter bracket during pre-delivery inspection. I was going 160mph and the splitter came off and grinded on the road...the splitter is a full carbon fiber piece that costs over 2k. Initially they told me I had to pay for it! I was able to provide evidence that the front splitter bracket was not installed at the originating dealer (the originating dealer had facebook posts with car pics that showed the piece was NOT installed).

With that evidence and an attorney GM decided to step up and pay. Imagine that! They paid my attorneys fees as well.

Go for the jugular! Once they know you aint playing, they wont play with you!

I saw that thread in the ZR1 forum. Great choice of bike and car.

Well the outcome - Triumph refuse to pay for the fix. I bought the bike with some kilometres on it. It had been at the dealer less than a week to my knowledge. Triumph's position on it; "Someone has tried to do burnouts on it with TC engaged" and I paraphrase; "When we had our press day, a few clutches were fried by the journalists on a few bikes who tried to do the same thing!" I haven't confirmed the latter as I haven't spoken to a guy I know was one of those journalists/bike reviewers on that day.

I know I certainly didn't but the repair bill quoted is an even $2000. (AUD). Thanks Triumph.

Last edited:
Well the outcome - Triumph refuse to pay for the fix. I bought the bike with some kilometres on it. It had been at the dealer less than a week to my knowledge. Triumph's position on it; "Someone has tried to do burnouts on it with TC engaged" and I paraphrase; "When we had our press day, a few clutches were fried by the journalists on a few bikes who tried to do the same thing!" I haven't confirmed the latter as I haven't spoken to a guy I know was one of those journalists/bike reviewers on that day.

I know I certainly didn't but the repair bill quoted is an even $2000. (AUD). Thanks Triumph.
How many kilometres are 'some'? And who put them on the bike? Was the dealer letting it out for test rides before selling it to you? If the bike had more than a very few K's on it, then someone should be responsible for how it was handled during extra K's. Sounds like maybe the dealer needs to step up.

How many kilometres are 'some'? And who put them on the bike? Was the dealer letting it out for test rides before selling it to you? If the bike had more than a very few K's on it, then someone should be responsible for how it was handled during extra K's. Sounds like maybe the dealer needs to step up.

Honestly this sounds like a dealer issue.. Did they use the phrase "Multi Point inspection" or Dealer Certified when selling the bike? Ask to see the inspection they did pre-sale to you. It is a pain but in turn you are going to have to be a royal pain in their ass.

I don't mate. I wish it was. I have owned a plethora of bikes though and NEVER ONCE blown up a clutch. I have had a few moments of hooning - but rare. A few quick launches to blow away some gixxers :) and that is about it. All I did in this case was to try warm the tyres with a small burnout. Nothing out of the ordinary and at 53, I don't ride it like I stole it all the time. Am hoping it is just a freak event.
Maybe they read this post.:(

Very poor on Triumphs behalf...2k also seems a bit steep for a $500 - $600 clutch kit

So can the bike safely do burnouts in Rider mode with the TC turned off?

Back