charging system fault

i have new apprentice to train...
20191005_120943.jpg

That's a beauty - love the patch on her eye - oh, baby's cute too! :D

Ah just teasing, sweet baby, congrats.

I always advise stator first thing to check with that test as it is so easy & quick to do and if its not that then almost by default it would then be the r/r

VERY simple test for stator:
Leave Ignition OFF
Disconnect stator from R/R (Grey Plug)
Set Meter to read resistance (ohms)
Read between any ONE of the three terminals in connector going back to stator and engine ground (any engine ground point, nearest raw metal stud)
This should read infinite resistance - open
If you read short (zero or near zero ohms) then your stator is bad.

EDIT: THE INFO I WROTE BELOW IN THIS POST IS NONSENSE. PLEASE IGNORE IT. SORRY!

I did this test on all three terminals and got the following results:

-385 followed immediately by 011
-371 followed immediately by 029
-363 followed immediately by 013

Would you please interpret those for me?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm not following the initial reading followed by another reading ........ what do you mean by that?

Take your meter and set to resistance scale (highest scale selected)

Your meter should indicating something like '1' or 1999
Touch leads together - your meter should read something like 0 (or very low 0.x reading)

Then set one probe on ground point (make sure it's a GOOD ground point - you can even use the battery negative cable terminal here
Use the other probe to contact ONE of the three terminals in the GREY stator connector (disconnected from R/R) - note that it might be difficult to reach the actual terminal because of the plastic so be sure it is fully contacting
Normally your reading should be the same as the 'test' where the leads are simply not connected to anything.
Typically when failed, it will be completely short - indicating very close to the same reading you got when you touched the test leads together.
(it is not really necessary to read more than one terminal as they will pretty much ALWAYS be the same, whether that is ALL bad or ALL good - but it's so simple to just get the other two asit is a good confirmation of your reading)

Last edited:
Back