Intermittent Power Fault

Al Burdon

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3R
Have had intermittent loss of power but always returned before a resolution was foun
While riding on rough dirt I had a complete loss of power.
Stopped lifted tank wriggled some wires and keyless start module power returned.
Lowered tank power disappeared.
Raised tank disconnected keyless start and reconnected key start lowered tank and all was good to go. Got home and investigated some more reconnected keyless module and no problems.
Several weeks later rough dirt again and loss of power.
So disconnected keyless start but no good so reconnected it and wriggled wires but no power.
So back to basics checked the main fuse and it looked fine.
Swapped main fuse for spare and power returned.
When I got to civilisation I went to get a new spare fuse. When I pulled the spare (faulty one from the holder that is not connected) the bike lost all power.
So I swapped fuses around again and both supplied power.
Wiggled the 30A fuse and power disappeared again.
Further investigation revealed that one spade connector retaining lug had failed and the connector and wire could lose contact.
Several months of weird electrical **** solved.

Happy Now

Have had intermittent loss of power but always returned before a resolution was foun
While riding on rough dirt I had a complete loss of power.
Stopped lifted tank wriggled some wires and keyless start module power returned.
Lowered tank power disappeared.
Raised tank disconnected keyless start and reconnected key start lowered tank and all was good to go. Got home and investigated some more reconnected keyless module and no problems.
Several weeks later rough dirt again and loss of power.
So disconnected keyless start but no good so reconnected it and wriggled wires but no power.
So back to basics checked the main fuse and it looked fine.
Swapped main fuse for spare and power returned.
When I got to civilisation I went to get a new spare fuse. When I pulled the spare (faulty one from the holder that is not connected) the bike lost all power.
So I swapped fuses around again and both supplied power.
Wiggled the 30A fuse and power disappeared again.
Further investigation revealed that one spade connector retaining lug had failed and the connector and wire could lose contact.
Several months of weird electrical **** solved.

Happy Now
Great News Mate - Good on you for solving this elusive problem. Electrical gremlins can be hard to find.

Add a dab of solder to one side of the fuse leg to fatten it up a bit and all shall be well again.

Seems to me you could’ve solved this problem a lot easier by just staying off rough dirt....;)

Back