Sorry I did’t read that thread.
I was just stating that I put that LED into the light. Even with it being smoked it’s pretty darn bright. At least bright enough that I don’t feel like I’ve compromised my safety by changing from the stock tail light.
Nothing suggesed by my post about the effectiveness of your solution @Plow Horse I put similar big fat amber LED globe replacers in my stock front with clear lenses and there are similar threads. I think I found mine ina jumble box of used stuff and they are heaps better than the Amber fat bulbs I replaced.

@barbagris and @1olbull are well known nerds and/or incremental lumen counting per foot distance from source truth seekers and followers of the mysteries of incandescence bandwidth. ;) :whitstling::roll::roll:

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20200929_203915.jpg
    20200929_203915.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 40
I am NOT a fan of smoking lenses due to the often extreme reduction in luminous throughput. 50-85% reduction is common.
The 30W (3*10W) LED conversion went to @1olbull and iirc @DEcosse made him up a PWM controller. It was a great R&D project but in the end it comes down to the OEM refelctor and lens being designed to work together and with a standard bulb. I don't know who designed them, but like the OEM headlights they are terrible on the road.

Were I to repeat the exercise I would need access to a 3D metal printer.

Nothing suggesed by my post about the effectiveness of your solution @Plow Horse I put similar big fat amber LED globe replacers in my stock front with clear lenses and there are similar threads. I think I found mine ina jumble box of used stuff and they are heaps better than the Amber fat bulbs I replaced.

@barbagris and @1olbull are well known nerds and/or incremental lumen counting per foot distance from source truth seekers and followers of the mysteries of incandescence bandwidth. ;) :whitstling::roll::roll:
Yes I remember reading one of 1olbulls’s threads about lights and him going on about what his meter was saying about the amount light/lumens or whatever it was being such. And thinking to myself if you need a meter to tell the difference then it is a rather moot point.

Yes I remember reading one of 1olbulls’s threads about lights and him going on about what his meter was saying about the amount light/lumens or whatever it was being such. And thinking to myself if you need a meter to tell the difference then it is a rather moot point.
Yeah, a pity @1olbull has left.:(

After years of devoted searching I finally found his ideal taillight /brake light combo! ;):whitstling::whitstling::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Tail Light RED ~ Giant 7" ~ Arrow 498-01-122
1602573652816.png

Half price too!
I reckon he could get a board set up with the 2x 7" amber arrow versions and this baby! ;):cool:
498-01-122 Red, Stop & Tail, 2 Wires, Stud or Bracket Mtg. (supplied) end of page 12.

Another possible candidate taillight. 5.5" long rim to rim, 2.5" wide, 3.5" between 2x mounting bolts.
'38-'39 Ford original/repros with Glass or LED with plastic lens.

1938-39 Ford LED Tail Lights From United Pacific Products

1938-39 Ford LED Tail Lights

• 33 Super Bright LEDS's, Complete with Red Polycarbonate Lens
  • Fits Left and Right Hand Side
  • Dual Function with Tail Light & Bright Stop/Turn Signal
  • Epoxy Coated, Fully Sealed Electronics
  • Original Style Black Tail Lamp Housing with Stainless Steel Rim
  • Rubber Mounting Pad Sold Separately Item # A9009
  • Don't forget mounting pads if you need them

1606366304429.png

Back