Catasrophic failure

Thats a bummer phil

What exactly were the symptons Phil? I had transmission failure on my 08 touring. Triumph supplied the parts i supplied the cash for labour and consumables. Very pricey. Back on the road again thankfully. Keep us posted.

Stand the bike up against a concrete backstop, shoot with ball ammo until you are a little relieved, crate metal remnants and ship with a case of Vaseline or KY Jelly to Triumph in England and tell them what to do with it :mad:. It might cost less than repairs and I would send you a $20 to help defer costs.

last year a friend of ours had something similar and although it was out of warranty, also on an '07 because it was a known fault triumph honoured the repairs.
his dealer told triumph how meticulous he had been with his servicing and the way he looked after the bike and it was all approved.
have you contacted triumph??

No symptoms leading up to the failure. What happened... I was accelerating in second gear merging on to the interstate, the bike hesitated then it sounded like the inside of the engine just came apart... motor still running, bike started bucking and it sounded like a bucket of bolts grinding and crunching inside the motor. I pulled in the clutch, and coasted to a stop and shut the bike off and put it in neutral. Then I pulled the clutch in and started it up. Engine sounded fine. I started to let the clutch out and the bike started to go while in neutral and that awful sound of bolts grinding inside the case.

My girl and I just had a baby on 7/12. I have to set a limit as to how much I'm able to lay out for the repair. Her and I talked about it and $4k would be the absolute maximum we could swing right now and still be ok. The problem is it'll cost $1000 to split the case and give an estimate. At that point, if it exceeded $4k, I'd have to say no to the repair... but now I have an R3 in pieces at a dealer and that'd be a problem.

Not sure how to proceed with this one.

Call Scott at Triumph USA. Explain your situation and everything you told us. They may just have some sympathy......oh and the baby angle might not be a bad idea...cheesy I know but pile on the sympathy and remember to tell them how much you love the bike...:D keep us posted

mutt

****, Kmutt, aren't you the fountain of help? Regarding successful service requests, you are ON THE MONEY.

I just learned something from you in a post over a year old that was extremely helpful to me.
Thank you, :gp:
1olbull

Kmutt... I'm going to take your suggestion. I did a quick search and found only one number for Triumph North America. Can you tell me if this is how I can reach this guy Scott?:confused:

Customer Service: (678) 854-2010, extension 2064

Truth of the matter is, I do love my R3. My bike's been a constant topic of conversation with all my Harley buddies for last 4 years. I've been riding for 30+ years and have never owned a bike this awesome. After owning this Rocket, there's no where to go with another bike. Everything looks and feels like a moped to me. There isn't a different bike that I'm even interested in riding. I kept saying that my next motorcycle is going to be 30 foot sailboat but thats not till retirement.

Last edited:
Bad news from Triumph... too far out of warranty for corporate to do anything with good faith... But, they are very sorry for my situation, and if they could reach through the phone and fix it, they certainly would. They wished me "good luck.":mad:

Its was worth a try Phil,
Now before you go spending a bucket load of cash, I would drain the oil and look for metal, cut the filter open and inspect for metal. Then I would take the lower sump pan off. Even if you not a great mechanic it a easy job. The sump pan has two screens on them I would look for metal the way you discribe the sound you should find metal. if not it might not be as bad as you think. In the rear right you will be able to look at the out put drive gears. there is a port hole in the front under the clutch you can see if there is metal up there if so its a clutch problem. Then your only out oil filter and possibly the sump pan gasket but you might be able to decide your course without spending a bunch of money at the dealer just to find out.

Whats cool is Warp taught himself then pushed the limit on the bike, blew it up, rebuilt another and another and another I think.
Was it 2 or 3?

Back