Clutch failure .... need some advice

Great I personally have a lot of rocket clutch knowlege from testing
grenade-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

or really from breaking stuff. :D

Here is a coue pictures of the shaft. Looks clean but notice aome buring where it rests on tje bearings.

20160922_222901.jpg

20160922_222921.jpg

It's hard to see but notice the buring

20160922_222943.jpg

You also asked for other pictures of the basket and such

20160922_222822.jpg

20160922_222832.jpg

My opion from a distance not enough free play and over rotation of the lifter shaft is what pulled the head off. Did you do any adjustment or just the dealer? Also what does the steels look like besides the warpage you refered to? Do they have any burn marks on them? And what brand and grade of oil were you running ? Over rotation will make the slot on the lifter shaft lift the small diameter of the lifter piece and put ina bing tearing the head off or 2ith evem more bind snap the lifter shaft.

My opion from a distance not enough free play and over rotation of the lifter shaft is what pulled the head off. Did you do any adjustment or just the dealer? Also what does the steels look like besides the warpage you refered to? Do they have any burn marks on them? And what brand and grade of oil were you running ? Over rotation will make the slot on the lifter shaft lift the small diameter of the lifter piece and put ina bing tearing the head off or 2ith evem more bind snap the lifter shaft.

I didn't actually do any adjustment. The dealer did all the adjustment. When I brought that up to them they indicated that "Clutches settle over time so the fact that you did NOT adjust it yourself is why it failed"

Theoretically I get what they are saying .... but ..... after 3 weeks and 3000km it seemed suspect. Regardless the dealer and I made up so we are all good..... but it would be interesting to know if their story makes sense if anyone has any thoughts. Any time I do work myself I of course am careful about free play, in this case I took it for granted since the dealer adjusted it.

As for oil .... I was running iphone Katana full synthetic 10w50 before the first failure and iphone semi-synthetic 10w40 before the second failure. The funny thing is both times I changed my oil within days of the failure. I don't think I blame the oil but I also think I will steer clear of ipone.

Last thing .... Here is a picture of the original steels, some of them were quite black and others were the natural silver color. Here is a picture of a couple of the blackest ones:

WIN_20160923_07_52_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160923_07_52_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160923_07_52_30_Pro.jpg

Also ... thanks for the device on the wavy washer everyone. I've got it on order so I can finish up the repair.

Back