Clutch failure .... need some advice

blip

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Hey Everyone.

I've had the lifter pin on my clutch fail on me. Not sure of the root cause, could have been free play, could have been for the same reason that my steels warped (see my other thread), but it popped clean off which is odd, in any event I am now replacing my lifter pin. but here is my problem ....... I had the dealer open the bike up to diagnose but opted to do the work myself thus I am not the one that removed the failed lifter pin, and now I am either missing parts or the service manual has some extra ones (you know .... like ikea furniture). I'd love to hear from someone that has had their clutch open to see if I am missing something.

I have a 2014 rocket III roadster. In the manual it indicates that the filter pin has a thurst washer between the lifter piece and the needle bearing shown in the picture below:

upload_2016-9-21_23-44-46.png

However when I open my bike I don't have a thrust washer just the bearing connected right to the lifter piece. Everything seems to fit well and got together but I have a sneaking suspicion that I am missing the washer. Because I wasn't the one that pulled it apart I can't be sure that it wasn't lost in disassembly.

upload_2016-9-21_23-55-50.png

upload_2016-9-21_23-53-12.png

Any help you have is appreciated :). This ris the last step before I close her up and try to squeeze the last bit of riding in this season.

Then I have one last question ............. While looking around I see some where on the outside of the pressure plate. I can't see any other wear on the inside of the crank case so am not sure if it is something to be worried about or not. What are your thoughts?

upload_2016-9-21_23-55-12.png

upload_2016-9-21_23-55-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-21_23-52-35.png
    upload_2016-9-21_23-52-35.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 2
unless I am mistaken you are right there should have been a wavy thrust washer, I'd be asking the dealer for it

clutch lifter piece has changed since the manual was written, Roadster should have all new versions, for example see the ref to needle bearing when you have a ball bearing. yours appears correct except there should be a wavy washer on the back end of that piece, where your assistant's thumb is. it goes between it and the clutch centre nut/input shaft end so dampen the piece hopping back and forth when clutch is engaged. i have some pics if needed.
also wavy washer is not the same thing as a thrust washer. do you have the wavy washer?

as for reason for piece breaking - do you have a pic of the old broken one?

p.s. your "wear" marks on the back outer edge of pressure plate is normal (or at least that's the way it was in my 2 engines lol)

clutch lifter piece has changed since the manual was written, Roadster should have all new versions, for example see the ref to needle bearing when you have a ball bearing. yours appears correct except there should be a wavy washer on the back end of that piece, where your assistant's thumb is. it goes between it and the clutch centre nut/input shaft end so dampen the piece hopping back and forth when clutch is engaged. i have some pics if needed.
also wavy washer is not the same thing as a thrust washer. do you have the wavy washer?

as for reason for piece breaking - do you have a pic of the old broken one?

p.s. your "wear" marks on the back outer edge of pressure plate is normal (or at least that's the way it was in my 2 engines lol)

Ya .... the wavy washer is not there. I can prder one though. If you have pics rhatbwould totally help :)

Ill post a pic of the failed one in a bit.

I wonder did your dealer drop the wavy washer when they took the old lifter piece out.
I'll post a few pics later when I get home

Yep missing wavey washer check the front if the sump incase it dropped when the dealer pulled it. There is a little pocket in the sump right below the basket that debris drops into. If steels are warped and discolored (kind of burnt blueish) that is from improper adjustment, improper oil, or worn out fibers from improper adjustment or improper oil. Make sure you check the lifter shaft for burning or worn fingers post pictures of it and the steels & filers and I will have a look see. Also check the clutch basket nut on the end of the transmissin input shaft to make sure it is still staked and did not back off. In fact grab the inner clutch hub a pull and push it in and out to check for excessive end play. If there is not then the burrs on the pressure plate is most likely from the lifter piece head working it way past the rotating parts. You did find the head didn't you?

Also here is a look at two lifter shafts left good right very very bad. Which after adjusting the free play enough on the bad one would break the lifter piece head from over rotation.

42097_e3ba549869e9981db94f8c82158d7813.jpg
Man I wish I had my laptop :D

Last edited:
I wonder did your dealer drop the wavy washer when they took the old lifter piece out.
I'll post a few pics later when I get home

That's what I'm wondering. If everyone is sure that it once was there then it is likely that they just dropped it and forgot it. Hopefully they didn't loose it someplace dangerous.

Warp, thanks for the advice, I'll post some pictures tonight of everything. And yes I did find the head (thank god).

Below is a picture of my old lifter just looks like the button popped right off.

upload_2016-9-22_12-56-45.png

upload_2016-9-22_12-57-14.png

stock Roadster clutch plate & lifter

also here are some marks on my pressure plate - notice how they are (a) not marked in the direction the plate turns, and (b) between a couple of ribs which are not marked

Last edited:
That's what I'm wondering. If everyone is sure that it once was there then it is likely that they just dropped it and forgot it. Hopefully they didn't loose it someplace dangerous.

Warp, thanks for the advice, I'll post some pictures tonight of everything. And yes I did find the head (thank god).

Below is a picture of my old lifter just looks like the button popped right off.

upload_2016-9-22_12-56-45.png

upload_2016-9-22_12-57-14.png

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. I can see the wavy washer clearly and there is definitely nothing like that in the block, but I will check again, maybe with a magnet this time.
That wear pattern confounds me. Yours looks exactly like mine but not sure how either happened ...... odd.

Back