Catasrophic failure

Phil68

.040 Over
Thanks to JRHorton I found a reputable dealer to check out my bike. (Thank you JR!) Bad news is... they''ve seen this similar problem about 6 times in recent years... It'll cost $1000 to open the case and diagnose exactly what happened. If I proceed with the repair thats a part of the cost. They said to expect a minimum of $4000 in parts/labor. With my description of lose parts flying around inside the case, they said that $4k is probably just the start... could be upwards of $7000 by the time we're done.

My bike's a 2007 and I've totally babied it. Services, oil changes all on time and I don't ride real aggressively. I can't figure out how a bike with 19k miles on the odo can have such a catasrophic failure.

Still owe $3000 on the bike to boot. Looks like I'm throwing in the towel with this particular Rocket. Anybody interested in an 07 Rocket III parts bike for $3k?:(

Holy crap!!:eek:
I have never heard of that happening to anybody!!
I wish i could tell you something comforting:(

I explored the option of engine replacement.... I can't do that sort of thing myself... dealer said it would be about $2k in labor to do an engine swap.... give or take based on how complete the new/used motor would be... and I'm still left with a 5 year old bike with no gaurentee on the replacement motor. UUGGH.

engine failure

Sorry to learn of you engine failure, I had problems with my timing chain/ tensioner at 5800 miles. Mine is an 05, I am the only owner and like you I have been the only one on its back. I mentioned the strange noise coming from the motor to a friend of mine in the triumph world, and he told me of the recall that the manufacturer had on this bike. It was well out of warranty but had no miles on it. I ended up getting hooked up with a fantastic bike mechanic and i basically had to pay the labor and triumph picked up the parts bill. I ended up with a bunch of new stuff in the engine and 2/3 rd's of a new tranny. ( never had any issues with the tranny but I wasnt going to argue. It cost me $1500. in labor. to date the bike only has 6700 miles on it, I cant stand the fricking vibration through the grips so I pretty much have thrown it onto the heap of other British "train wreck" bikes i have.
Its a tough call for you mate, but try and keep the bike and get a used motor, theres plenty of them in the wreckers yard

Thanks to JRHorton I found a reputable dealer to check out my bike. (Thank you JR!) Bad news is... they''ve seen this similar problem about 6 times in recent years... It'll cost $1000 to open the case and diagnose exactly what happened. If I proceed with the repair thats a part of the cost. They said to expect a minimum of $4000 in parts/labor. With my description of lose parts flying around inside the case, they said that $4k is probably just the start... could be upwards of $7000 by the time we're done.

My bike's a 2007 and I've totally babied it. Services, oil changes all on time and I don't ride real aggressively. I can't figure out how a bike with 19k miles on the odo can have such a catasrophic failure.

Still owe $3000 on the bike to boot. Looks like I'm throwing in the towel with this particular Rocket. Anybody interested in an 07 Rocket III parts bike for $3k?:(

And whats the problem? did it loose the tensioner and smack the valves?

Back