Castle Powersports- Nashville

The Scotts filter is a super fine stainless screened insert inside a ribbed outter case. It also has a rare earth magnet integrated into filter element for those ultra-fine millings. At every 3000 miles Ive cleaned the inner element which accounts for 10 occurrences thus far. The retail cost of 10 paper filters exceeds the cost of the Scotts filter. And the particle size filtering with the Scotts filter is finer than any paper filter.
Scotts Performance Products
And its outer sheath is ribbed for extra pleasure:D And possibly a small degree of cooling.

Last edited:
extra pleasure

The Scotts filter is a super fine stainless screened insert inside a ribbed outter case. It also has a rare earth magnet integrated into filter element for those ultra-fine millings. At every 3000 miles Ive cleaned the inner element which accounts for 10 occurrences thus far. The retail cost of 10 paper filters exceeds the cost of the Scotts filter. And the particle size filtering with the Scotts filter is finer than any paper filter.
And its outer sheath is ribbed for extra pleasure:D And possibly a small degree of cooling.

Thank you, that's another item on my list!

I can't hardly believe there are still folks changing oil at 3k.... just can't break the habit can ya? ;)

I agree, it's a big waste of money, especially if you are using the Mobil 4T (I believe it is) or any other full synthetic blend. Don't get me wrong, it isn't going to hurt the bike but I've got better use for my dollars than unnecessary oil changes. I only did the oil change at around 8K because the bike had been sitting for long periods of time in between being ridden while I was home on R&R.

But to each his/her own.

Dennis

23 dtg Dubai
24 dtg Home

My bike has 9400 miles on it and I don't plan to change untill 10k miles. I will change it again at 20k.:D

It's just that technology in both lubricants and engine manufacturing has come so far now that tolerances are so precise and synthetic products so stable that throwing away "oil" at 3000 miles is not only wasteful, but it's like giving the finger to the 21st century.
I understand why you do it, I was an advocate of the exact process back when oil was junk and engines were sludge factories. But things have changed .... using "natural" lubricants is kind of silly if you think about it . Yes the synthetics are more expensive, but when you compare them based on how stable and long lasting they are and then look at their superior wear protection .... it's time to make the change. It's hard to change ... but it is time. Simple mobil 1 synthetic will theoretically last nearly forever (based on the logic that the engine itself will slowly "consume" the lubricant and it has to be replenished with new product). It's the filter that has to be monitored and replaced/cleaned as required. Todays (stock) filters have built in bypass valves that return the lube unfiltered to the engine if the element is clogged to the point of restriction. This was designed specifically for the same reason electronic ignition was originally created ... to protect the car against total neglect for as long as possible so that emissions are kept low even if the required maintenance is ignored. If you notice that in the last 40 years vehicles and their engine wear items now last 100,000 miles (coolant, trans fluid, spark plugs and wires etc.)
If you haven't taken the plunge and given synthetic lubricants a chance yet ... . give it a try and relax for 10-15,000 miles. You won't be disapointed.
And stop using premium fuel in vehicles that aren't specifically designed to require it ... HUGE waste of money and it actually damages the engine and exhaust system. The unburned fuel contaminates the engine oil and overheats the platinum coating the catalytic converter. And for anyone out there who doesn't already know this by now .... The R3 is a LOW COMPRESSION engine ... Low octane fuel actually INCREASES horsepower because ALL of the fuel is burned while IN the combustion chamber. Please look up the truth about the octane myth and make your own decision. Don't take advertising by oil companies as the standard and educate yourself on the subject if you have not already done so. Most of the guys here already know all this ... I thought I should throw that out just in case some of our new owners weren't aware. http://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=b...dd2fda64c26eb545c736b&a=bi&pagenumber=1&w=758

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention, I just got one of the "Scotts" permanent filters in the mail today. They are a bit pricy, but VERY well made. Can't wait to put it on!

Back