The pipes are not all one piece, but in sections that slip into one another.
The springs keep the fitted pipes together.

What is the advantage of this?
Someone will explain ;-)

Springs are used on race bikes/vehicles so that the exhaust system can be dismantled quickly in the event of a crash or work needs to be done on the bike during a race.
With springs you just unclip them then the pipe is off, no mucking around with spanners and sockets and undoing clamps.
Excellent in this application.
For a road bike the constant vibration and movement that a sprung joint will allow will cause leaks over a period of time.
Not a problem in a 1 hour race.

I fully welded my headers so there's no chance of any leaks.
This does of coarse mean that the header has to be made exactly, or it won't fit, and we've seen plenty that don't.

Springs look cool, but as often is the case "Race Track technology" doesn't make a practical transition to the street.

As Steel has said Bob Carpenter is a Race shop.

Springs are used on race bikes/vehicles so that the exhaust system can be dismantled quickly in the event of a crash or work needs to be done on the bike during a race.
With springs you just unclip them then the pipe is off, no mucking around with spanners and sockets and undoing clamps.
Excellent in this application.
For a road bike the constant vibration and movement that a sprung joint will allow will cause leaks over a period of time.
Not a problem in a 1 hour race.

I fully welded my headers so there's no chance of any leaks.
This does of coarse mean that the header has to be made exactly, or it won't fit, and we've seen plenty that don't.

Springs look cool, but as often is the case "Race Track technology" doesn't make a practical transition to the street.

As Steel has said Bob Carpenter is a Race shop.
But Rocket3,s are not race bikes...A skilled and crafted slip joint on any exhaust never leaks matey,just ask Mr Yoshimura;)

Each to his own, but I personally like the smooth welded "Paul Bryant look" over springs.:)...in black too, Art!:p
Yes Paul's pipes are beautiful no one denies that, I wanted the full 2" pipes to go with my Carpenter engine just trying to get all the power I can.

Back