Carpenter Sidewinder on a Touring

What is the story with that donor bike? Fire in the battery compartment or with the electrical under the tank? Looks like a bad either way.

Seems is the operable word until you have a little exhaust leak.

A guy had an old Dairy Factory as a workshop, had all his tools, machinery etc in there, along with two Classic cars and two Rockets.
He had a battery charger sitting on a stack of tyres charging one of the car batteries.
The battery charger short circuited and burst into flames igniting the tyres then all inside the workshop :(

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

Having cleaned it up and hit it with three cans of spray paint, it now resides on a stand that I use to set up Rocket Exhaust systems on.

20181202_073243.jpg

Ouch, fire safety is a real thing, even with something as safe as battery tending...puts all those annoying safety stickers into perspective (each came about for a reason). Anyway, you did a great detailing.

A guy had an old Dairy Factory as a workshop, had all his tools, machinery etc in there, along with two Classic cars and two Rockets.
He had a battery charger sitting on a stack of tyres charging one of the car batteries.
The battery charger short circuited and burst into flames igniting the tyres then all inside the workshop :(

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

Having cleaned it up and hit it with three cans of spray paint, it now resides on a stand that I use to set up Rocket Exhaust systems on.

20181202_073243.jpg
Glad you were able to save the remains to provide a useful fixture.

An interesting point looking at/working on this wreck was how "soft" everything was.
I would put a spanner on a bolt to undo it and it would simply twist and shear off (with very little effort) it was soft like Plasticine.
Mounting brackets like for the little in fill panels forward of the side covers would bend so easily.
The diff had just "sagged" from the heat :(

IMG_0626.JPG

The rear caliper mounting bracket was just a blob of Aluminium hanging over the rear end of the swing arm.

An interesting point looking at/working on this wreck was how "soft" everything was.
I would put a spanner on a bolt to undo it and it would simply twist and shear off (with very little effort) it was soft like Plasticine.
Mounting brackets like for the little in fill panels forward of the side covers would bend so easily.
The diff had just "sagged" from the heat :(

IMG_0626.JPG

The rear caliper mounting bracket was just a blob of Aluminium hanging over the rear end of the swing arm.
Can imagine it was a lot of work to make it a consistent fixture.

Can imagine it was a lot of work to make it a consistent fixture.

Not at all, I simply stripped all the crap off it, blasted it with the Water blaster then hit it with 3 cans of spray can paint.
Whilst it was completely burnt, everything was sitting where it was supposed to be.
Then made up a simple stand, job done.

IMG_0599.JPG

Back