Carpenter Sidewinder on a Touring

Now when Paul said heat the pipe he really means heat the pipe, here is Pauls bike after heating the pipe

img_0590-jpg.40674

The end tip of it? Not quite 3 inches, the bracket I made is 1.5-2" between the mounting holes

I did a 10 mile ride to check ecu error codes and whatnot and no issues.

I could easily continue that loop for another two weeks, allowing it to heat and cool, but ill take the torch to it a few times as well. I appreciate the advise!

What I'm more interested in is at the bolt hole, how much did you have to lever the unit down to get the bolt in ?

About 1.5"-2" between where the mounting bracket was supposed to go and where it ended up.

As for force used? A reasonable push with 3 fingers. Didn't need to put my weight into it.

About 1.5"-2" between where the mounting bracket was supposed to go and where it ended up.

As for force used? A reasonable push with 3 fingers. Didn't need to put my weight into it.
One of the advantages of slip joints, and springs. Everything seems to be easily adjustable.

Hmmmm, the 1½ to 2" is quite a bit, the force required (which is subjective of coarse) doesn't seam too bad, but it's not how I would like to see it.
Depending on just how much stress is in the system, it could break in a short time (high stress) through to it lasts quite a while and may break miles away from home :(

Does the system "look" like it's sitting correctly on the bike ?
If so, I would make another mounting bracket to suit, then you know that you have no stress in the system.

It looks like it is sitting fine, really.

The only part that has moved is the angle of the megaphone, everything else is sitting where it was before the modification. The only part that might have stress on it is the final 90⁰ bend in the collector before the megaphone. But I've since taken my torch to it several times to heat and cool the bend whilst the megaphone was in the bracket. After about 5 rounds of heat and cool, the megaphone only needs just a small touch to line up perfectly with the bracket.

I'm not sure how though, I would imagine heating a bend in a pipe wouldn't change that much... but it seems to be making progress. Maybe another few rounds of heating? I really don't know. Seems to ride just fine.

It looks like it is sitting fine, really.

The only part that has moved is the angle of the megaphone, everything else is sitting where it was before the modification. The only part that might have stress on it is the final 90⁰ bend in the collector before the megaphone. But I've since taken my torch to it several times to heat and cool the bend whilst the megaphone was in the bracket. After about 5 rounds of heat and cool, the megaphone only needs just a small touch to line up perfectly with the bracket.

I'm not sure how though, I would imagine heating a bend in a pipe wouldn't change that much... but it seems to be making progress. Maybe another few rounds of heating? I really don't know. Seems to ride just fine.

That's good.
Bending the pipe by pulling the megaphone into place creates stress in the tube, heating it relieves that stress.
If you have pulled the megaphone up to align the bolt holes, heat around the outside of the bend as this is the area that the metal is trying to stretch, but also allow the heat to all around the diameter of the tube.

A good check is that after it has cooled completely (over night) remove the bolts at the mounting bracket and see if/how much the megaphone springs, ideally it shouldn't move at all.

Sounds like you have it sorted now, good work.

Now when Paul said heat the pipe he really means heat the pipe, here is Pauls bike after heating the pipe

img_0590-jpg.40674

What is the story with that donor bike? Fire in the battery compartment or with the electrical under the tank? Looks like a bad either way.

One of the advantages of slip joints, and springs. Everything seems to be easily adjustable.

Seems is the operable word until you have a little exhaust leak.

Back