Carpenter 240 Kit questions

Only if it’s fun or necessary! The primary causes for failure in the trans ive seen is poor fit on circlips. Circlip comes out of the groove, more than one gearset engages, transmission grenades.

Heck, @Claviger has a great write up on his trans that Robinson had reworked. Not saying that Robinson did bad work, but to me anyway, don’t fix it if it ain’t broke!

that’s why I’m settled on just leaving the stock tranny as is. It’s been great for 7K+ miles so far with no issues. We shall see how it goes!!

I'm going with Bob's street rod exhaust! I'm letting Bob install the PCV, his exhaust, and his choice of filters. I love the bear claw however he's the expert and my understanding was that I would get the most out of the kit if I used his exhaust and the KN 4040s
That's what I have too. If you want heat shields look for 10.6" universal heat shields. I got some cheap on EBay.

20180302_154907.jpg

Or you can get them in chrome
20180214_093639.jpg

Just my 2 cents, nothing looks better or sounds better on the Rocket Like Carpenters pipe! I just don’t personally care for the spring joints and the adapter plate. If they made them direct bolt up and welded for the same price I’d buy them now!

That's what I have too. If you want heat shields look for 10.6" universal heat shields. I got some cheap on EBay.

20180302_154907.jpg

Or you can get them in chrome
20180214_093639.jpg
I love both of them. Before I decide on heat shields and what not, I'll just bop around with the unpolished steel set of pipes and really wring the bikes neck for the remainder of the riding season here in Colorado. Once winter is here, I won't get to ride until the following Spring. Winter time is great for adding modifications, that's when the new rear tire will be going on. I've also never had a fairing on any of my motorcycles so finding something that would actually help when exploring more of Colorado would be nice.

Oh! I almost forgot. Bob has some meatier head studs for the R3. Are those necessary for the 240 engine kit or are those offered for engines with forced induction?

Oh! I almost forgot. Bob has some meatier head studs for the R3. Are those necessary for the 240 engine kit or are those offered for engines with forced induction?
No, but you have to replace the originals anyway. It’ll cost like $150 for the set of reusable APE headstuds. The OE studs are torque to yield, single use studs.

No, but you have to replace the originals anyway. It’ll cost like $150 for the set of reusable APE headstuds. The OE studs are torque to yield, single use studs.
I assume that would be part of the 240 kit considering Bob will have to pull the head off.

The APE studs are not included. I chose to get them for the likely event of needing to remove the head in the future.

Keep in mind, a performance build at this level may need service. Buy the bolts once and done.
I’ll inquire about those with Bob, I have no problem getting some.

Back