Dont remove the stock stripes :p They have clear on top of them. If you make your new tank vinyl 51.5mm wide, when you install it the "lip" is not visible at all, it totally disappears.

Rear fender width is a bit smaller and front fender smaller yet. Just size the new vinyl 2mm wider than stock to keep the lip undetectable.

Dont remove the stock stripes :p They have clear on top of them. If you make your new tank vinyl 51.5mm wide, when you install it the "lip" is not visible at all, it totally disappears.

Rear fender width is a bit smaller and front fender smaller yet. Just size the new vinyl 2mm wider than stock to keep the lip undetectable.

So the stock tank stripes are 49.5mm wide? I have a Phantom Black tank w/o stripes I want to possibly stripe to match some stock red striped F & R guards I have. I assume the black on these is Phantom Black too but should check them out.

Can someone confirm the stock red stripe color name?

I hear you ..not removing the original stripes was something I thought of but wasn't sure of but you have gone trough all that jazz so you know better than me .
I will follow your advice for cutting the new ones however should the original stripes be lightly sanded down for the new ones to stick better ?

Nope. Just use good quality Vinyl, 3m, avery, etc.

Get some Primer 94, not a substitute, actual 3M primer 94, nothing works like it despite marketing claims. Prime the panel edges, so front and back of tank, front and back of fenders, and around the gas cap area. It will ensure you dont get lifting from those parts.

Despite all the noobs on youtube stretching their vinyl out super far using heat, use as little heat as you can if you want it to last. The more you stretch the material, the more tension it will have, and it will try to shrink back to it's original size over time/in the sun. Also, it distorts the twill pattern, kind of ruining the CF effect.

For prep, I suggest a painting prep product like prep-all, goof-off, etc. Lightly coat a paper towel and wipe the whole (already hand washed) panel to strip it of wax/anything, then wash with water, then hand dry with microfiber. Then prime and install. Time will tell, but that's the procedure I used and they seem rock solid so far (only been on a week).

For installing I suggest do the inner edge, of a stripe carefully, then slowly wipe from inside to outside of the stripe perpendicular to the stripe. It keeps the material from bunching up as you work along the stripe, and the two inner lines are critical to be parallel, if it's off you'll notice it since there's another line to compare it to. The outer lines you cant tell for ****e, Twill pattern against flat black really does a number on human eyes lol. All three panels have a light compound curve along the stripes, you'll see what I mean when laying it out with the backing on, not a single area is actually flat.

Good luck, it's not super hard, just be patient and don't be afraid to unstick the material and move it and rework it if you have to.

TIP: The best thing to use to maintain the stripes is Turtle Wax ICE from what I've tested thus far. It's synthetic, doesn't make white build up, and doesn't turn the matte paint super reflective. Whatever you do DONT USE CARNUBA WAX!! It clogs the texture of the twill and makes it look....old and ratty.

Nope. Just use good quality Vinyl, 3m, avery, etc.

Get some Primer 94, not a substitute, actual 3M primer 94, nothing works like it despite marketing claims. Prime the panel edges, so front and back of tank, front and back of fenders, and around the gas cap area. It will ensure you dont get lifting from those parts.

Despite all the noobs on youtube stretching their vinyl out super far using heat, use as little heat as you can if you want it to last. The more you stretch the material, the more tension it will have, and it will try to shrink back to it's original size over time/in the sun. Also, it distorts the twill pattern, kind of ruining the CF effect.

For prep, I suggest a painting prep product like prep-all, goof-off, etc. Lightly coat a paper towel and wipe the whole (already hand washed) panel to strip it of wax/anything, then wash with water, then hand dry with microfiber. Then prime and install. Time will tell, but that's the procedure I used and they seem rock solid so far (only been on a week).

For installing I suggest do the inner edge, of a stripe carefully, then slowly wipe from inside to outside of the stripe perpendicular to the stripe. It keeps the material from bunching up as you work along the stripe, and the two inner lines are critical to be parallel, if it's off you'll notice it since there's another line to compare it to. The outer lines you cant tell for ****e, Twill pattern against flat black really does a number on human eyes lol. All three panels have a light compound curve along the stripes, you'll see what I mean when laying it out with the backing on, not a single area is actually flat.

Good luck, it's not super hard, just be patient and don't be afraid to unstick the material and move it and rework it if you have to.

TIP: The best thing to use to maintain the stripes is Turtle Wax ICE from what I've tested thus far. It's synthetic, doesn't make white build up, and doesn't turn the matte paint super reflective. Whatever you do DONT USE CARNUBA WAX!! It clogs the texture of the twill and makes it look....old and ratty.

You NAILED IT brother...... I would only add that if you are nervous about laying the stripe down & then possibly having to move it due to not lining up right or just working those not flat surfaces, you can get a spray bottle with a tiny bit (2%) of dish washing soap & 98% water - Just enuff soap to make a tiny amount of suds - Squirt the stripe area of the panels before laying the tape down & that will allow you to be able to move the stripe or pull up easier if necessary. After you get it laid down you can take a thick paper towel & just mash down & away working down the stripe to push the water out (it won't be much water, may not even see it dissipate) And If you get any small "bubbles" in the stripe this will help get them out too - Any water left under it will dry out

Now all that being said, I personally would just get enough stripe tape that if I F'd something up I could peel it up & start fresh. It's much easier that way :thumbsup:

You NAILED IT brother...... I would only add that if you are nervous about laying the stripe down & then possibly having to move it due to not lining up right or just working those not flat surfaces, you can get a spray bottle with a tiny bit (2%) of dish washing soap & 98% water - Just enuff soap to make a tiny amount of suds - Squirt the stripe area of the panels before laying the tape down & that will allow you to be able to move the stripe or pull up easier if necessary. After you get it laid down you can take a thick paper towel & just mash down & away working down the stripe to push the water out (it won't be much water, may not even see it dissipate) And If you get any small "bubbles" in the stripe this will help get them out too - Any water left under it will dry out

Now all that being said, I personally would just get enough stripe tape that if I F'd something up I could peel it up & start fresh. It's much easier that way :thumbsup:
Funny you mention this technique for applying stripes. I use the soapy water technique for applying any type sticker/decal to any part of my autos. Makes it easy to align perfectly, squeegees (I use thin plastic card) flush without bubbles, and once dried looks professionally installed.

Funny you mention this technique for applying stripes. I use the soapy water technique for applying any type sticker/decal to any part of my autos. Makes it easy to align perfectly, squeegees (I use thin plastic card) flush without bubbles, and once dried looks professionally installed.

Yessir, the reason I didn't say squeegee on these is because the rounded surface makes it harder to use - they work but you have to bend them to match the surface and some people have trouble holding a uniform amount of bend when dragging it. you can actually squirt some of the soapy water on your fingers & rub them out - But as Claviger said, DON'T stretch the vinyl, especially if using the carbon weave or anything with a pattern that would cause it to be uneven.

I'm resurrecting a 2-year old thread here, but if I were to put down new stripes over the top of the white stripes, would it be easily removable later or is it rather permanent?

Back