Question for the BST/any Carbon Fiber wheel owners.

Dale914

.020 Over
Ride
05 Red Rocket
So I'm obviously aware of the light weight benefits of the carbon wheels, and I'm very interested in them, but I'm wondering how much of their weight is negated by their increased diameter and the effect that the arm/moment, and centripetal acceleration could negatively effect the performance. I'm wondering from the people who have them, how much taller the tires (particularly the rear) end up being from the factory, and how it effects your handling, as far as precession and rebound from suspension, and what changes you see in the speedometer's accuracy, any noticeable changes in acceleration? Also, any other information would be appreciated. I've also read all of the other threads that I could find in this forum already addressing the topic, I am aware of the previous issues with fitment that have been addressed. I'd be curious to know if people managed different dyno numbers after installation. How does the increased diameter of the tire change the ride/fender clearance?
I think they look amazing, I feel like King Midas when it comes to carbon fiber, I've been happy with everything carbon that I've come upon, and am considering trying to manufacture carbon fiber products myself.
Thank you for your help.

A larger diameter rim will mean a lower profile tyre, which would also reduce the tyre weight. So a lower overall weight, especially near the circumference would, I think, reduce overall momentous forces along with unsprung weight.

My rear is a 240/40 18 which is .2" shorter than the stock 240/50 16. That difference is negligible. The handling is much better, The bike feels 150 lbs lighter. Hard to say about acceleration but it seems to spin up fast. An old racer once told me that every 11 lbs you lose is like 1 free HP, and any rotating weight is multiplied 7 times. So by losing all the weight of the rim, plus the lower profile tires it makes a difference.

My rear is a 240/40 18 which is .2" shorter than the stock 240/50 16. That difference is negligible. The handling is much better, The bike feels 150 lbs lighter. Hard to say about acceleration but it seems to spin up fast. An old racer once told me that every 11 lbs you lose is like 1 free HP, and any rotating weight is multiplied 7 times. So by losing all the weight of the rim, plus the lower profile tires it makes a difference.

Thank you Steel,
I would have expected the taller wheel would end up with a taller tire, not a shorter one, but here we are! I also would assume that the flatter that the tire is curved would also hurt handling in comparison to a taller arch, but again, here we are. Thank you. Are you pretty happy with your purchase?

Also, I sure would appreciate any pictures that you all may have.
Before
20180225_154839.jpg

After

20180626_141439.jpg

Thank you Steel,
I would have expected the taller wheel would end up with a taller tire, not a shorter one, but here we are! I also would assume that the flatter that the tire is curved would also hurt handling in comparison to a taller arch, but again, here we are. Thank you. Are you pretty happy with your purchase?
Very happy, except I really wanted them for my Roadster, but they are designed for the original Rockets without ABS.

Back