image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Alright I replaced the leaking cam cover gasket, easy job will pass along a few tips to make it a wee bit easier for anyone else doing it.

- When the new gasket arrives (if you ordered it online) take it out of the package and leave it for a good day to uncurl as they just ram it in the package.

- Did not have to remove the tank you can if you want to but no need.

First pic shows where the gadget was leaking from, the most common area is at cylinder 1.

- Second pic tie wire all the loose wires under your tank and get them pulled up out of the way, at the left of the photo is a bracket which holds two lines remove the bracket it gives you about another 8mm does not seem like much but it really does help, remove number one and two spark plug wires from the coil; that gives you more room also.

- Clean any old sealer or any anything stuck on the surface take your time and do a good job

- Where the gasket wraps around the bolt hole at cylinder 1, the surface was a wee bit rough on the inside.
I used a high power suction tube(wife's dyson), and filed the mating surface smooth.

- Applied some good quality gasket sealer (just a drop at various places) and installed the cover.

Do a few dry runs before you install the gasket. The cover does not just come straight out, you have to play with it a little.
If you still have the stock intake on order a new system ram air K$N whatever do not try and put the stock air plenum back on

I just bought a 2012 roadster and have whacked the throttle a little. Noticed a leak at cylinder 1 this morning. Brilliant write up. Just one question, How do you get the bolt caps off? I was going to make sure that the bolts have the proper torque on them first.

I just bought a 2012 roadster and have whacked the throttle a little. Noticed a leak at cylinder 1 this morning. Brilliant write up. Just one question, How do you get the bolt caps off? I was going to make sure that the bolts have the proper torque on them first.
there plastic a scribe will pull them off with little damage. then toss the beaches its a bolt not some type of makeup for a woman :)

Humor!!!!

good morning fellow rocket owners; so I'm almost to 22k and heading to dealership for her 20k plus service of course the gasket is crimped at the all to familiar place a very little leak- question to the group- is there any roadster owners that do not have this issue? it seems i have to replace mine once per year.

good morning fellow rocket owners; so I'm almost to 22k and heading to dealership for her 20k plus service of course the gasket is crimped at the all to familiar place a very little leak- question to the group- is there any roadster owners that do not have this issue? it seems i have to replace mine once per year.

Make sure who ever is replacing the gasket is using a torque wrench and a decent on at that, tighten it down like you would a cylinder head. After a few thousand miles check the torque settings again .

Have over 15,000 miles on the gasket I installed. No crimped edges and no leaks. Dealership is the key word here. I took a considerable amount of time and patience when I torqued the valve cover back on. My personal experiences with dealerships and valve jobs has been less than desirable. Starting with a 2005 Bonneville. Took it in for the first valve check and they had replaced a few shims. Sounded like a can of marbles. Since then have done my own work. Ask Lupe about his experiences:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Studied and ask questions prior to doing a valve check and shim replacement on the Rocket. Yes we removed the cams. Not a very difficult job. Really good torque wrench required IMG_0235.JPG and common sense. (38,000 miles 2015 Rocket X)

Looks like a 243 lift, 330 duration cam lobe in that third pic. A I'm also betten the gaps a little big on the fourth plug from the front. ;)

Fred, did you develop your super(natural)power before or after you landed on your head last year?o_O:p

Last edited:
Back