Bigger is Better

For those interested in putting on the Larger Filters here is what is keeping them on as a saftey measure K&N suggest you put a brace on them hence the decorative strap across the top and it also act to hide the strap that keeps them safe

Hans Are you just using one strap in the center and then the cross K&N strap to hold all three or are you using three straps?

Good looking unit especially the red paint :D

Hans Are you just using one strap in the center and then the cross K&N strap to hold all three or are you using three straps?

Good looking unit especially the red paint :D

Yeah just the one, there is a tab (originally used to hold pentilum) behind #'s1 and 2 injector but thought I would try just the centre and if it was not enought it is easy to just add one to the front. The strap across the top is a 32mm x 2mm x 260mm alumim, injector centres are 110 between, the filters already have the holes with a easy to remove/ fall out (loose Fit) rubber plug

Hans, Love the work on these!! A few questions too. Is that a horn you have mounted to your radiator cover? If so, which one? Exactly how important is the brace strap holding the filters to the plenum point? I didn't bract my 1770s at all and I'm wondering how big a risk I'm taking that way :confused: I can't really use the top strap because of the angle on mine, but I guess I could mod some sort of stair step strap?

No that is not a horn it was a driving light which has been replaced by brighter LED Cree units, the strap could still be made for the 1770's you would just need the take some measurements and bend the alloy strap to the correct stepped shape and fix a brace the same way as I did, I might admit I was a little concerned when guys started using the 1770 filters as that is a lot of filter hanging onto a relatively small lip, I was lucky in my recent (Xmas) tumble that even thu I had a bruise on the inside of my knee from the filter the filter did not come of, also the RX series has a hole with a plug in it already in the end of the filter

I've been checking them after every ride and put about 200 miles on today through back country twisties...still secure. I think I'll probably keep checking them for a while and if they don't loosen or move at all, I'll skip the strap. I've got the flanges and TB's marked so I'll know if they move at all.

HansO, great work
You have the 2780 performance K&N filters ,how tall are they? And what the diameter top and bottom? did you have the smaller K&N filters on before?
just wanted to know if there was a noticable difference in performance ?
Also you where saying you where thinking of even bigger I think you said twice as big RX- 4040 would that make even more of a noticable difference?
Is there anyone that has pictures with the RX-4040 on there Rocket?

HansO, great work
You have the 2780 performance K&N filters ,how tall are they? And what the diameter top and bottom? did you have the smaller K&N filters on before?
just wanted to know if there was a noticable difference in performance ?
Also you where saying you where thinking of even bigger I think you said twice as big RX- 4040 would that make even more of a noticable difference?
Is there anyone that has pictures with the RX-4040 on there Rocket?

Old thread - but @HansO HAD the big RX-4040 fitted in this thread's photos. He had the smaller 2780's which may fit under the bearclaw earlier.
RX-4040
4 inches across the top and bottom and 5 inch from the very bottom of flange to top 4.75 inch of filter top to bottom

001sm.jpg
002sm.jpg
003sm.jpg
While I was happy enought with the K&N 2780's performance I thought they looked to Small and I want something Bigger Then a little while back I remember Wayne Tripp mentioning these Bigger K&N's they are the RX-4040 and they are twice as big but at least look like they belong on the Rocket and will Alow better breathing for my Future Engine Mod's and apart from having to cut heaps more of the claw I also found a nice Stainless bottle for my radiator overflow seeing as It had to go, Condemm it or love it I don't care cos I love it, makes the other wise very bland left side come alive now I just want to get covers in Red or Yellow and I will be happy as a pig in mud:D

001-jpg.3563

001sm-jpg.3522

002-jpg.3582

001-jpg.3647

Last edited:
Thanks Ishrub I did see those pictures but wasn't sure they where the RX-4040 I thought HansO was going bigger, now I get it :)
I did see picture of a guys rocket that has the 1770's looks good also
Would there be a noticable difference of power going with the RX-4040 compared with the 1770's?

Back