Best jack to go with Jack-Be-Quick

Thanks for that Bill. You may have gotten one of the last front brackets.
They added a bit of stability when both wheels were up, but apparently not enough to double the price for most folks.
Perhaps 1 in 10 bought the front bracket too, so I just quit making them.

Can't understand THAT for the life of me. Why 99percent of the Rockets on the planet don't have both brackets on them is beyond compression. It just makes life Soooooo much easier.

Bunch of border line slow learners I reckon.
:p:roll::roll::roll:

New front tire installed, spare rim with a new baloney skin ready to go on.

15509500752605694948559458083427.jpg
Well...... maybe after a beer. :D

I am getting ready to take the wheels off for the first time to get new tires put on. I have a Craftsman two rail lift like the harbor freight lift. I have practiced lifting the bike with the JBQ bracket. The front comes up first and eventually the rear comes up. What other precautions do I need to take when I take the wheels off? Should I take the wheels off in a particular order--rear then front or front then rear? Do I need to be concerned about the weight of the bike shifting when the first wheel comes off? Thanks for any suggestions.

Just a suggestion.... Besides exercising all usual shop precautions, I recommend loosening the axle nuts while the bike is still on the floor so as not to put unnecessary torquing load on the lifted machine.
It is pretty stable when lifted, but keep your kids and St. Bernard away. If you try to, it is always possible to knock it off.
AFAIK, no particular order, but perhaps those who have done it several times may have a reason for one first.

I am getting ready to take the wheels off for the first time to get new tires put on. I have a Craftsman two rail lift like the harbor freight lift. I have practiced lifting the bike with the JBQ bracket. The front comes up first and eventually the rear comes up. What other precautions do I need to take when I take the wheels off? Should I take the wheels off in a particular order--rear then front or front then rear? Do I need to be concerned about the weight of the bike shifting when the first wheel comes off? Thanks for any suggestions.
@PaddyO go back a few posts and look at the pictures I posted. I did mine today one wheel at a time but if you're lifting the whole bike at once , you can still use 4 jack stands at the locations where mine are.

Put a piece of old leather belt on top of them to keep from scratching stuff and then just ease the jack down until she just settles on the stands but doesn't unload jack. She'll be stable as a rock, yank and crank on it all ya want, it ain't falling.

I had a self inflicted stuff up with putting mine on my table lift which resulted in the bike and me getting pitched arse over teacup onto the floor.

Trust me brudda, you do not want one of these things landing on you. It is both expensive and painful.

@PaddyO go back a few posts and look at the pictures I posted. I did mine today one wheel at a time but if you're lifting the whole bike at once , you can still use 4 jack stands at the locations where mine are.

Put a piece of old leather belt on top of them to keep from scratching stuff and then just ease the jack down until she just settles on the stands but doesn't unload jack. She'll be stable as a rock, yank and crank on it all ya want, it ain't falling.

I had a self inflicted stuff up with putting mine on my table lift which resulted in the bike and me getting pitched arse over teacup onto the floor.

Trust me brudda, you do not want one of these things landing on you. It is both expensive and painful.

BillB, that looks like a good idea. Get 4 jack stands. For the front, it looks like you placed the stands on the rails which hold the front controls and for the rear, you placed the stands on the rear tip-over bars. Is that correct?

My previous bike was a 1700 Kawasaki Nomad. It was lifted by putting the lift under the frame so it was easy to find the balance point. I could take the wheels off that bike without much concern.

VABird, I agree with you about loosening everything with the wheels on the ground. I did that with my Nomad as well. That also included taking off the bags and exhaust before getting it in the air.

I have made up a rear wheel dolly like the one Bedifferent posted on the board. Just waiting for the leveling feet to get in. The post office sent them to the wrong distribution center or I would have posted pictures by now. I made mine out of wood rather than metal. I already had it lying around and am more familiar with working with wood. I will post my copy of his idea once the feet get here.

BillB, that looks like a good idea. Get 4 jack stands. For the front, it looks like you placed the stands on the rails which hold the front controls and for the rear, you placed the stands on the rear tip-over bars. Is that correct?

Yes sir. I forgot that you need taller stands on the rear to get it high enough to sneak the back tire out. I will post a picture tomorrow of the two stands tomorrow.

You can also pretty much pass on the effort on the wheel dolly. It would work on a Roadster/Classic/Standard but you ain't gonna be getting a Touring high enough in the air to clear the rear fender in a straight line. Ya have to get it off the diff. and kinda scoot it out sideways under the diff.

Speaking of the differential, got any moly paste to pull it and lube the driveshaft coupling?

Yes sir. I forgot that you need taller stands on the rear to get it high enough to sneak the back tire out. I will post a picture tomorrow of the two stands tomorrow.

You can also pretty much pass on the effort on the wheel dolly. It would work on a Roadster/Classic/Standard but you ain't gonna be getting a Touring high enough in the air to clear the rear fender in a straight line. Ya have to get it off the diff. and kinda scoot it out sideways under the diff.

Speaking of the differential, got any moly paste to pull it and lube the driveshaft coupling?

I am thinking that I will get the wheels off of the bike with the wheels basically on the ground. I will take off the left exhaust and both panniers, loosen the axle nuts. I will then get the bike up, get the rear dolly under the rear wheel which will also support it up-right, lower the bike so that the wheels are just touching the dolly at the rear and the ground on the front. I will also support the bike with the jacks at this point. I will then get the brakes out of the way, pull out the axles, and maneuver the rear wheel off of the drive differential so that it is held up by the dolly. I will then raise the bike enough so that the wheels can be pulled out from under their respective fenders. I am hoping that the bike will at this point be supported by the lift. Once the wheels are out of the way, I can use the jacks to add additional support while I take the wheels and new tires to the shop to have them put on. I will then reverse this process when I get home.

Due to the good folks on this board I am planning on using Loctite Moly Paste to lube the driveshaft coupling.
Loctite Moly Paste.jpg

Can't understand THAT for the life of me. Why 99percent of the Rockets on the planet don't have both brackets on them is beyond compression. It just makes life Soooooo much easier.

Bunch of border line slow learners I reckon.
:p:roll::roll::roll:

because both brackets on together are too wide of a space for both rails on most common motorcycle jacks to line up with..I know because I've tried it..but I see you have a scissors jack..

because both brackets on together are too wide of a space for both rails on most common motorcycle jacks to line up with..I know because I've tried it..but I see you have a scissors jack..

Yep, I like it a lot. As a matter of fact, I'm going to get another one just like it. That way I can lift her on both ends and have the whole sump exposed for oil changes. That ought to make life easier. :)

Back