Quick question for those of you that installed K&N's and modified your bearclaw... Do you ride in the rain? Has this become an issue since the mods? I like these mods, but I'm concerned that I might regret them?

Lots of info on this very issue if you use the 'search' . They actually use the pre-filters that Nolton mentioned on outboard motors on boats , and hose directly onto them without any problems. Most of the Owners that have K&N filters don't bother with them , even those with completly exposed filters don't have any problems even in the heaviest rains.

no covers on mine,
ride in the rain plenty,
no problems after 3 or 4 years riding
in pretty much anything that comes my way.
keep em oiled and you won't have any problems.

Thanks for information on that guys... I'm pleasantly surprised! And I can't wait to make the mod, but I'll wait until it starts to snow....

I cut mine this weekend :D my wife was shocked that I was cutting up the pretty chrome thingy;)

Attachments

• cut bear claw 1.jpg
    cut bear claw 1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 191
  • cut bear claw 2.jpg
    cut bear claw 2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 202
I removed a little under 2 inches. I used a caliper to help mark the cut line so the new lower edge approximated the original contour of the bear claw.

I used tin snips for the rough cut then with a die grinder and small stone to bring it to the cut line then finally a scotch lock disk to smooth the edge .

The cut edge is as smooth to the touch as the uncut edge.

The hardest part was making the first cut. There's no turning back after that.

Looks good Lester. That's pretty much what I started with but then took a couple of extra strips off the bring it up to the top of each filter - progressively (I got bolder each time!). Two things to note if anyone decides to do that:

1. The filters are not at the same height relative to the bottom edge of the bear claw so your cut will not run parallel with the original bottom edge - you need to measure each one.

2. The rear one will still be deformed a little with any of the claw covering it. Once it's exposed, you need to cut pretty much back to the 'line' or risk cutting into the top edge of the filter with the claw edge.

I cut mine with a Dremmel and went from the inside because it's too easy to run across the chrome and leave marks.

Back