dtgiese

.040 Over
Just wondering if there is any advantage to modifying the bear claw, whether its cutting or drilling, other than looks. Is there any performance increase due to less restricted air flow to the K&N's. Getting ready to install the PCV and Autotune in a couple of days and was thinking about the claw.

Dennis

There'd have to be an advantage and I'd say it made a noticable difference. Putting the filters in the flow of uninterupted fresh cool air has to be better than sucking in any warmer air swirling around under the claw - or tank for that matter.

other than increased cooler air flow, and looks,
I can't think of any other reason myself.
A personal choice no doubt,
just like the PCV or filters, tires or whatever.
Good luck and if ya do cut it,
a Dremil w/ cut off wheels works good.
post pics if ya chop it up.

Yea I have, it's not pleasant. It makes perfect sense, I went with Bonecarver's idea and drilled out the lower section and moved the overflow container to the air box under the seat. Here's a pic of my claw.

This was before I relocated the overflow tank. From the top you can't even see any difference. Might drill the holes bigger. I noticed an improvement in performance. Installed the PCV and AT, waiting for the K&N's to dry out so I can re-oil them then all goes back together. It's HOT here in NC so I think a test drive is out of the question today.

I haven't seen this version of modification to the bearclaw before of drilling holes. Most have cut the lower portion of the bearclaw off. So this is somewhat a different look but don't know if this version helps any with air flow to the filters. I think that air is somewhat still restricted while moving down the highway. Oh course this is just my opinion.

Tend to agree, but still probably better than no venting at all. No doubt exposing them will give better results. Personally, having cut mine, I much prefer the look of the exposed filters and uncut claws look odd to me now.

Yep, I like mine cut,
but the wife likes hers stock.
Different strokes for different folks right?
those holes kinda remind me of the,,,,,,,,
never mind, top secret..looks good on your R3T tho.
good job.

Quick question for those of you that installed K&N's and modified your bearclaw... Do you ride in the rain? Has this become an issue since the mods? I like these mods, but I'm concerned that I might regret them?

Quick question for those of you that installed K&N's and modified your bearclaw... Do you ride in the rain? Has this become an issue since the mods? I like these mods, but I'm concerned that I might regret them?

Get the filter covers. I have them and they keep the filters dry and clean. Check with Flip he sales them.

Back