Very wise for an erudite whacko! :eek: :rolleyes: :roll:
The tape to look for is 3M's "BLACK DIAMOND" series.

And if you want Red - or for @Grumpy Ole Codger - even Blue - Get 3M and only 3M. otherwise the colours tend to shine only in silver.

If you have the space - the best stuff is the 2" wide ECE homologated tape used on trucks - afaik only RED, AMBER and WHITE made.

All these things are good ideas but they don’t deal with saccadic masking. The only real solution is for drivers to slow how they scan the environment... or we become more constant in their field of view but that’s tough when moving....

So those that said I suspect they aren’t looking are closest, they are but they are temporarily blind for a portion of the time they’re looking... it’s just how the eyes work .... having bigger shinier bikes that block the field of view more probably helps.. another win for the Rocket!!

All these things are good ideas but they don’t deal with saccadic masking. The only real solution is for drivers to slow how they scan the environment... or we become more constant in their field of view but that’s tough when moving....

So those that said I suspect they aren’t looking are closest, they are but they are temporarily blind for a portion of the time they’re looking... it’s just how the eyes work .... having bigger shinier bikes that block the field of view more probably helps.. another win for the Rocket!!

The "blind spot" issue you refer to is eliminated by the saccade, which is the rapid intermittent eye movement that occurs when the eyes fix on one point after another in the visual field. :inlove

The "blind spot" issue you refer to is eliminated by the saccade, which is the rapid intermittent eye movement that occurs when the eyes fix on one point after another in the visual field. :inlove

Yes, but my understanding is it works the same as when we fill in words when reading... so if they’re not looking for a bike they don’t see one?

Yes, but my understanding is it works the same as when we fill in words when reading... so if they’re not looking for a bike they don’t see one?

Since we are not looking at motion when reading, I don't believe the eyes saccade (back and forth), at least mine don't.

The Guardia Civil in Spain published a detailed study on traffic awareness. Basically proved that on known and repeated trajectories (esp when tired) - people do not see (generally) that they do not expect. They did things like move traffic lights and add "attractions" - 90% of commuters were caught out.

The Guardia Civil in Spain published a detailed study on traffic awareness. Basically proved that on known and repeated trajectories (esp when tired) - people do not see (generally) that they do not expect. They did things like move traffic lights and add "attractions" - 90% of commuters were caught out.

Yep that’s basically the phenomenon I’m getting at... point being, the majority of vehicles on most roads are cars... so they don’t look for bikes.... so we can probably have all sorts of flashy signal things and still not be seen!!!

Yep that’s basically the phenomenon I’m getting at... point being, the majority of vehicles on most roads are cars... so they don’t look for bikes.... so we can probably have all sorts of flashy signal things and still not be seen!!!

Have you guys watched the famous basketball players and the gorilla?

Back