Drmatt357

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Roadster
I replaced my stock size tire with the Avon 140/75. Steering was a huge improvement and not necessarily because the front dropped a half inch. I already have +1” shocks. It’s the profile. The 150 tire is too wide IMO for the rim and it wraps around to where the sides are vertical. So when you turn in, after a few degrees, the bike wants to drop in because it hits that vertical part of the tire.

My main concern in replacing the Metzler tires was getting something that was sticky. Well, after spending the day on the track, I can assure you, Avon Cobras approach a DOT race tire for grip.

Pics and video to come!
image1.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, the Avon’s, especially the front, hook really really well.

Agree about the shape of the stock size as well, it’s a bizarre OEM tire choice.

The Avon’s are a dual compound design according to their tech line, triple compound for the Goldwing sizes. Explains how they just grip and grip and grip!

Yep, the Avon’s, especially the front, hook really really well.

Agree about the shape of the stock size as well, it’s a bizarre OEM tire choice.

The Avon’s are a dual compound design according to their tech line, triple compound for the Goldwing sizes. Explains how they just grip and grip and grip!

But do they wear and wear and wear? I'll be replacing the Metzler stockers on my Touring and will be casting about for a better tire, as I've been doing on my many bikes over the past 100 years.

The search for the best tire continues.

But do they wear and wear and wear? I'll be replacing the Metzler stockers on my Touring and will be casting about for a better tire, as I've been doing on my many bikes over the past 100 years.

The search for the best tire continues.
Well, I'm sure there's a trade off in grip for longevity. Personally I'd rather be upright and have to change the tires more frequently than the alternative. ;)

I replaced my stock size tire with the Avon 140/75. Steering was a huge improvement and not necessarily because the front dropped a half inch. I already have +1” shocks. It’s the profile. The 150 tire is too wide IMO for the rim and it wraps around to where the sides are vertical. So when you turn in, after a few degrees, the bike wants to drop in because it hits that vertical part of the tire.

My main concern in replacing the Metzler tires was getting something that was sticky. Well, after spending the day on the track, I can assure you, Avon Cobras approach a DOT race tire for grip.

Pics and video to come!
image1.jpeg

Amigo,
Your post set me to thinking, particularly your comment, "I replaced my stock size tire with the Avon 140/75. Steering was a huge improvement and not necessarily because the front dropped a half inch. I already have +1” shocks."
I was curious just how much just raising the rear shock length 1" (to 13.5" total) would change geometry, e.g. rake, trail, seat height & axle angle.
So I did some calcs and produced a scale diagram to explain:
1) The geometry differences a sole change to a rear 240/55R16 Exedra Max produces
2) The geometry differences a sole change to a front 140/75R17 front tire produces
3) The geometry differences produced by changes to both of these tires

If interested, please see my new thread entitled, "R3R Frame Changes" for info.

Amigo,
Your post set me to thinking, particularly your comment, "I replaced my stock size tire with the Avon 140/75. Steering was a huge improvement and not necessarily because the front dropped a half inch. I already have +1” shocks."
I was curious just how much just raising the rear shock length 1" (to 13.5" total) would change geometry, e.g. rake, trail, seat height & axle angle.
So I did some calcs and produced a scale diagram to explain:
1) The geometry differences a sole change to a rear 240/55R16 Exedra Max produces
2) The geometry differences a sole change to a front 140/75R17 front tire produces
3) The geometry differences produced by changes to both of these tires

If interested, please see my new thread entitled, "R3R Frame Changes" for info.

My friend, You are welcome to ride my DeathTrap in KY for an Aples/Apples comparo. I have the EMax rear, Cobra front, Progressive 13.5" HD 444 rear, Progressive +7W in front

My friend, You are welcome to ride my DeathTrap in KY for an Aples/Apples comparo. I have the EMax rear, Cobra front, Progressive 13.5" HD 444 rear, Progressive +7W in front

Oh heck, Anthony, now I need to do one for yours . . . Both tire changes AND 13.5" shocks. :D

Anthony,
Now I must add calcs for your +1" shocks with both tire changes . . .

Back