ANYBODY install the Gas Tank KNEE PADS?

I also like the tank pad. Its stops or hides the belt buckle/zipper/snap scratches you might put in the tank. I still have a set on my extra tins. A set on my 05 and I have bought a set for my 06 for when I scratch the kamelon paint :eek:
Thanks, where di you buy them?
Please share,
Cheers
LCL

Please share,
Cheers
LCL
I bought mine from Triumph when there were plenty to be had. That post of mine you quoted was from 2012
Nowadays you just got to search the net. Its like the last 140 cubic inch oil tank emblem I just bought, they just pop up.

Please share,
Cheers
LCL
Same, 1st gen RIII's only.
Same as finding anything Google part numbers and or part name with '.........Rocket'
TANK PAD A9718006
1607205865679.png

KNEE PADS A9718005
1607205905686.png

yeah I did but they pet falling off. my local stealership replaced and fitted them 3 times but then they said that Triumph do not recommend fitting to the matt black as they do not bond to paint properly.

Strange how tank pad bonds but knee pads don't...anyhow, given matt black is the ultimate colour for and rocket and Triumph says not recommended, obviously they are not worth installing

what is stranger is in the photos advertising the knee pads, they are showing a matt black tank... goes to prove tat the clowns at my stealership really did forget their red nose the morning i went in.
I heard that too and it kept me away.

Same, 1st gen RIII's only.
Same as finding anything Google part numbers and or part name with '.........Rocket'
TANK PAD A9718006
1607205865679.png

KNEE PADS A9718005
1607205905686.png
Exactly why I asked...wrong bike...I am talking about the 2020 R3GT.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers

I see I am responding to what was originally an 8 or 9 year old post. I've only read a few of the replies. I installed the knee pads and ****** pad at the back end of the tank when I bought my 2006 Classic a few years ago. To me they make the difference between what a, "real" Triumph should look like and a bike that does not quite get the total classic Triumph look. I came by this perspective when I was in High School and envied the 2 or 3 guys in town who had wealthy parents that allowed them to have and bought them Tigers and Bonneville's, etc. Okay, yes, back then at 15/16 years of age, I was a clerk in the local grocery store and might have been able to buy one but my parents wanted me to live long enough to get into college. and forbade me from 2-wheelers. Don't know why but the rubber knee pads on the sides of the gas tank made them look so cool to my eyes. Maybe other brands had the same thing, can't remember, it was about 60 years ago.

Apparently I must have read posts about the pads not staying very well on the bike or they did not stick to my tank and I experimented with solutions. I found magnetized rubber tape-like material that I glued with black silicone adhesive to the backside perimeters of the pads and after three years they have not moved a single millimeter. Wish there were rubbers available for my '08 Touring. 🙂

Attachments

• 20180817_125922.jpg
    20180817_125922.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Exactly why I asked...wrong bike...I am talking about the 2020 R3GT.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers
On special in UK for 55 quid and when you open link they should throw you an extra 10% coupon offer for subscribing to their newsletter.
VAT and freight adjusted for non Eu residents at check out apparently.

Anybody install the gas tank knee pads on a Rocket 3 ? If so were you happy with them, thinking about buying a set, I see the left size is small, not much room. It is part # A9718005
Yes, I installed a set using the cleaning/prep cloth supplied. Followed the instructions to the letter. Came into my garage the following morning and the left hand pad was on the floor, adhesive side up. Put it back on and taped it in position, but it wouldn't stick, so took both back to the dealer and they will replace. I have now insisted that they fit them so I don't have a repeat performance. I don't feel that the 3M double sided tape was up to the job OR it might have gone off over time.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll make sure tank is clean before install!
Suggestion!! Clean the receiving area thoroughly with mineral turps before you start. Perhaps after cleaning with turps, wipe over with the cleaning pads provided with the new pads.

Back