Grip removal and install

FLrocket

Standard Bore
Ride
2010 R3R
So reading and researching grips because I've never changed grips before so I don't go in over my head. I read one comment that it is easier to change bars rather than change grips on the original bars. That comment has gotten me questioning wanting new grips.

1.What do you use to cut the old grips off?

2. Is it easier to smooth out the ribs on the original throttle tube or just buy a new sleeve and install the grips on it?

If you do have to cut the LHS is easy to the chrome bar underneath. A heavy box cutter, vinyl knife, utility blade etc.
But first remove the bar end weights, then they they may come off with just a blast with your wife's hair-dryer to free the handle bar grip glue (some of the longer-locked males around the forum may already have one closeted!;):roll::roll::roll::roll: ).

A messier but effective way is to wedge a gap with your small round screw driver and spay some WD 40 or similar between grip and bar a few pokes and this will work around but you will have to clean carefully afterwards before fitting the new ones! If you want to save the old grips, clean them too so the oil doesn't rot the rubber/plastic
A long bladed Phillips head SMALL screw driver or other UN sharp blade may help break stiction and you can roll them around the handlebar or RH grip to release it from hard plastic inner core with the throttle cable eyes. The RHS may need to be cut off but you re-use the throttle tube with your new grips. The tubes do come up on wreckers Pinwall etc and forum members often have a spare.

To fit just lube with warm soapy water, they usually grip tight even wet but if they slip afterwards say by the next day, use grip glue as well.
The RHS grip will be larger in diameter to accommodate the throttle tube.

Last edited:
Back