Amplink - Anybody using one?

That's NOT what worries me. Bluetooth is fairly easy to hack. My concern would be that some twat connects and modifies it.
Still, as it is now available this side of the pond - it is under consideration.

As somebody already has commented - Motogadget does a similar control unit. m.unit blue. Now, personally I think using this would be a challenge, as it would require a shed load more thought. But it can do stuff that the Rowe box cannot.

For a start you could get running lights in the indicators. Automatic hazard flashers, flashing brake. A lot more granularity for switching. And if you want those functions - it works out MUCH cheaper than buying all the itty bitty things from all over the shop - and it's one box. But they would all have to be earthing switches or ON WITH IGNITION. I have a non-bluetooth version of the m.unit in my Guzzi. pro's and con's to both.

As I recall, bluetooth only remains active for 60 seconds after your power is turned off to the unit. It may lack for some of the things you mention but it is perfect as a power breakout device for running what ever you want. Setting delay times for on and off allows me to not have my lights on during any starting activities and also keeps my running light on for about 20 second after I power down the bike. Lots of options and seems to link well with the phone application. Further comments may be delayed as we are camping where cell and WiFi service suck where we are at.

I have used the sampling for about six months and have no issues. Great for running all those accessories and keeping the battery terminals tidy and clean look. Great the the nautilus horn and others. Easy setup on phone for management

Figured I would use the wife's new Spyder as a test bed when I installed her accessories so I added an Amplink. I like it. Easy to install and the smartphone interface is a vast improvement over the PDM60 cable/laptop programming circle jerk. Right now it is only running a GPS, USB charger and cigarette lighter.

20190811_160752[1].jpg

Figured I would use the wife's new Spyder as a test bed when I installed her accessories so I added an Amplink. I like it. Easy to install and the smartphone interface is a vast improvement over the PDM60 cable/laptop programming circle jerk. Right now it is only running a GPS, USB charger and cigarette lighter.

20190811_160752[1].jpg
That’s clean

I was looking for a PDM60 and saw that Rowe have come out with a bluetooth configurable device called Amplink. Anybody using one? Pros? Cons?

Amplink | Rowe Electronics
Hi Guys, this does not seem to be a current topic but I thought I should warn the community about this product and the company. I have three Amplinks and two PDM60's, all of the products were working perfectly until November 2022. The company introduced a new APP and this is where things went wrong. PDM60's still working Ok. All of the Amplinks have failures in their triggering. Contacted the company, the contact was a Mr M Ireland, he agreed that it was a trigger problem (email conversation to anyone interested), no solution in his reply. Eventually he replied "we have tested and can't reproduce the problem if we find a solution in the future we will let you know"!!! Tried to contact the CEO of the company a Mr Steven Rowe, silence, no reply. From my experience, if you want a premium product with, any customer support, avoid this company and it's products as they are only interested in their profit margins with no product support whatsoever.

I have the Amplink on my 2015 Rocket. I have not had any issues to date. I did open the older app version tonight out of curiosity (I was not near my bike nor did I have it powered on). My phone advised me it was an older app and might not work with my new phone. Anyway, I downloaded the new version of the app but have yet to try it out. I did notice when I opened the older app there was something there about a firmware update option. Again, I have not pursued that yet either, but I might key on my bike in the near future and see if the app can link with my Amplink. In the past, I have always found the company to be very helpful.

Hi Bedifferent, how old is your Amplink, mines range from when they first came on the market, probably in the region of 5 years ago to the most recent which will be about 2 years old. The company used to be helpful but its attitude seems to have changed. I did a lot of bench testing on my Amplinks using a variable power supply at work, 2 of the older ones had triggers 1 and 3 completely disable, trigger 2 on all 3 still worked, the newest one only lost a ground trigger on 3. I think one of 2 possible causes, 1. They have changed chipsets and not tested with legacy models or 2. The new APP changes the switching parameters in the software. One of my triggers would only work above 17volts.

Hi Bedifferent, sorry should have added this on my last reply. If the Amplink you have is a bit older like some of mine and you don't need to make changes my advice would leave it alone at least for a while. If the company realises, as they should, that they have screwed up then I would expect that the APP will be updated and reissued.

I have the Amplink on my 2015 Rocket. I have not had any issues to date. I did open the older app version tonight out of curiosity (I was not near my bike nor did I have it powered on). My phone advised me it was an older app and might not work with my new phone. Anyway, I downloaded the new version of the app but have yet to try it out. I did notice when I opened the older app there was something there about a firmware update option. Again, I have not pursued that yet either, but I might key on my bike in the near future and see if the app can link with my Amplink. In the past, I have always found the company to be very helpful.

Hi Bedifferent, how old is your Amplink, mines range from when they first came on the market, probably in the region of 5 years ago to the most recent which will be about 2 years old. The company used to be helpful but its attitude seems to have changed. I did a lot of bench testing on my Amplinks using a variable power supply at work, 2 of the older ones had triggers 1 and 3 completely disable, trigger 2 on all 3 still worked, the newest one only lost a ground trigger on 3. I think one of 2 possible causes, 1. They have changed chipsets and not tested with legacy models or 2. The new APP changes the switching parameters in the software. One of my triggers would only work above 17volts.
Mine is pretty much one of the original units. I got it when they first came out. I had a PDM 60 and they kind of worked me an exchange for the newer Amplink. I set it once how I wanted it and have never touched any of the parameters since. It probably has been 6 or 7 years.

Mine is pretty much one of the original units. I got it when they first came out. I had a PDM 60 and they kind of worked me an exchange for the newer Amplink. I set it once how I wanted it and have never touched any of the parameters since. It probably has been 6 or 7 years.
My oldest one must be the same age, I remember the first APP they issued had problems and they had to redo it. If I was you I'd give your one a good leaving alone. Would be interesting if you contacted them for advice though. They have a form on their website, you could mention a fellow biker on the forum has had failures caused by the APP and you were worried that connecting to it could cause you problems, mention be by name if you want, I've kept all the email conversations. The reply could be very enlightening. I'm lucky/unlucky, depending on how you view it, if I had only one Amplink I couldn't have proved that it was the APP that was the problem.

Back