How's Amanda fairing on the new ride ... she had the chance to clock up many k's yet ?

Cathy , Big Al has a mate with a Speedmaster for sale . Speedmaster be LAM's approved i'd reckon, maybe a more enjoyable choice than the Jappa you mentioned. They would be a great starter bike.

She's in love mate. Been riding it to work every day and we went on a bit of jaunt on the weekend. Unfortunately there was a gale-force wind, literally, so not the best conditions but she's handling it just fine.

Cathy, Amanda was a bit worried about moving from one of the lightest bikes around - the Virago weighs 147kg - to something weighing almost 100kgs more. To be honest, the America's feels much lighter than it is and is actually easier to lift of the stand than the Virago. She's had no trouble at all and finds the America much easier to control at really slow speed - and of course a million times better once you get going. The V-Star 650 didn't come out too good in a recent review I read in Road Rider Cruiser mag. I reckon you should seriously look at the Speedmaster TC mentioned (or any America/Speedmaster) if they're LAMS approved up there.

Hey hope you dont mind if i chime in. i certainly am no expert when it comes to motorbikes but i have ridden a few Yamaha 650's as down here a lot of people buy them as their starter bike of which several of my mates did so over the years I ve ridden a few of their bikes to give them a go on whatever I was riding.

I can say with complete confidence that yo will find the yami a reliable thing but if you ride on the open road, sitting on 100k is not that comfortable. It is really working to sit there. much more comfortable at about 85 plus the way you sit on top of it you get hit in the chest hard by wind and its geometry makes it ok at handling but weight sits up high.

Personally, although this is blasphemy I really liked the HD Sportster 883 (which is not LAMS approved in Vic) even though I couldn't ride it for too long as the vibration through the pegs was just too much after a while. Handled nice and was like a tractor ride when you were a kid. Just fun. The speed master leaves any of these things for dead. If you are allowed to ride it buy it. if not, buy a hyosung 250. bit of fun, cheap and as soon as you can get on a real bike, sell it..should sell quick as they aren't much coin.

as far as america speedmaster difference, i got no idea as have only ridden the speed master.

Put simply, the America is more or less like the RIII Classic in that it has a more relaxed riding position with the handle bars pulled back a little, even has the hand painted pin stripes. It has a more comfortable seat too, esp for pillion. Speedmaster has flatter bars, smaller guards and less chrome. That's about it except older model Speedies (pre 2010) had twin discs.

Hey guys, appreciate the input, I can't ride the speedmaster on LAMS, nothing bigger than 650 so after reading all your comments and talking with the big fella I think I will get a Virago 250 to start with, that is what I have been learning on and I feel comfortable on that and after scooting around on that for 12 months no doubt will have the confidence to move up and will probably look at getting an American :D

Thanks Mittzy, I have been through the list and checked out the bikes, I want a cruiser style.

Richard, that's the same bike that I'm learning on, even the same colour, will talk to the big fella and then go speak nicely to Mr Bank Manager...lol

Thanks Mittzy, I have been through the list and checked out the bikes, I want a cruiser style.

Richard, that's the same bike that I'm learning on, even the same colour, will talk to the big fella and then go speak nicely to Mr Bank Manager...lol

As long as it ain't a Scooter .. it's gota be a good thing.:eek: I can't believe i just said that about a Yamaha Virago , but there you go.

Get yourself a nice old TR6 mabey a Trophy or Tiger that will earn points with me. Might not be practical but would have style. You could learn all about oil leaks, the prince of darkness and other caracter building traits of those old 650's;)

Back