Advise on mirror installation needed

mully95

Living Legend
Ride
Roadster
Since installing the black Triumph mirrors I have had vibration to the point where I can't see in them clearly at most RPMS
Photo Jul 20, 8 24 37 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 20, 8 24 37 PM.jpg . I decided to take them off and see what the problem was or try to find a better way of installing them so they will not vibrate. What I found was the tolerance rings was crushed. I must have did something terribly wrong when I installed the black mirrors. So I decided to buy new tolerance rings and wave washers to basically start over from scratch. When I got the parts in hand I took the mirrors off and carefully tried to mount the mirrors with new the rings. Upon doing so I find it very difficult to mount the mirrors with the rings. If I assemble the ring on the mirror and try to put in the slot it will not go far into the hole. If I even try to tighten it down I will end up with a crushed ring like before. So I decided to place the ring into the hole first but the ring will not allow the mirror to go inside. Basically the same thing I get when I put the ring on the mirror first. I even put a thin layer of grease on the stems and rings hoping that will aid in the install but it’s so tight that grease isn't going to do much good.

Now I have been told not to use the rings at all but when I insert the mirror stem in the hole there is a lot of play. Or is the black mirrors even use the rings? My old mirrors (round mickey mouse mirrors) are boxed up in my attic and was thinking about getting them down and having a look but I thought surely the mirror stems are the same diameter as the black mirrors.

Anyone know the correct method of mounting these mirrors besides crushing the rings?

Mully I've had the ovals (sorry teardrops but same stem etc) on for years.. threw those crush washer things away and just used a couple of flat washers under the bolt (to get it to clamp down tight) never had a problem with vibration.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread Mully,
I'm still fighting with mine having the exact problem that you are having.

There's gotta be a better way

Mully I've had the ovals on for years.. threw those crush washer things away and just used a couple of flat washers under the bolt (to get it to clamp down tight) never had a problem with vibration.

I have never tried the washers. I wanted to see if it could done with Triumph issued parts. Why they sell something that doesnt work is beyond me.

Thanks for starting this thread Mully,
I'm still fighting with mine having the exact problem that you are having.

There's gotta be a better way

I was under the impression that you fixed yours. Glad to have you here. lol

So......... does the bottom portion of the oval mirror screw off? Like in the above picture of the mirror you can see a line and obvious miss aligning part at the end...... does that portion screw off and the parts you posted screw on? I don't think it would look good with chrome at the very bottom of the mirrors IF that is what those are for.

The adapters are to convert the "Triumph mounting method" into the standard used by other mirrors for Harleys and the like, like Kuryakyn Magnums. Doubtful that you need those for the Triumph mirrors. Might try to hunt down some rubber O-rings and normal washers and cobble something together, I guess?

I've already decided on the Magnums, I like the massive look of them for the R3T and I want big glass, the round ones that come stock are just garbage. Probably no coincidence since Triumph has multiple optional models for sale...

TRIIICK has the right answer. Get the adapters and you can use any mirror you want as most are made for HD's

Back