A new theory

It looks like to your spline is close to 25% gone. I bought my bike used and the splines had run dry before I got it. Mine were 50% gone. They weren't causing any symptoms or noise but I replaced the shaft and diff before they failed. I would run the one you have without a second thought. I'm not trying to shoot holes in your ideas (well actually I am). I just want to see you get to the root cause of the problem. You've got a lot of work into it now, and it would be a shame to put it all back together and have the noise still be there.
Thanks for the reply, this is really starting to do my head in. As there was practically no debris in the sump I don't think it is the Damper,but it seems a bit silly to put it all back together when I have come this far. I think I will keep going and replace the damper bearings because with my luck they will crap themselves a soon as I put it back together anyway☺

Zoom in and you will see that it is attached to the swivel part of the jack by 3 cap screws just clamping it there. removes in seconds with an allen key.

I guess my question was a bit ambiguous. Can the jack be separated from the bike easily with the bike on the ground?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, this is really starting to do my head in. As there was practically no debris in the sump I don't think it is the Damper,but it seems a bit silly to put it all back together when I have come this far. I think I will keep going and replace the damper bearings because with my luck they will crap themselves a soon as I put it back together anyway☺

How many miles on this bike ? Seems like my torsional damper $hit it's dress at about 50,000 miles. I couldn't tell if my front bearing was in backwards, the whole thing fell into the bottom when I pulled the damper out. I put in a new single rubber sealed bearing in the front. I put a double sealed permanently lubed bearing in the back like they started doing on the later models. Around 80,000 now. So far so good.

I guess my question was a bit ambiguous. Can the jack be separated from the bike easily with the bike on the ground?

Thanks
Yes I just have to attach the paddock stand and lower it on to that.
100_2510.JPG

How many miles on this bike ? Seems like my torsional damper $hit it's dress at about 50,000 miles. I couldn't tell if my front bearing was in backwards, the whole thing fell into the bottom when I pulled the damper out. I put in a new single rubber sealed bearing in the front. I put a double sealed permanently lubed bearing in the back like they started doing on the later models. Around 80,000 now. So far so good.
Yes that is what I will do just for piece of mind. I will feel better if the bearings are a bit sad when I do open it up though.

40,000 kms

40,000 kms
It could be your hearing the rear bearing with no oil feed to it its got to sound pretty bad as it comes apart.since your this far what does the rear seal look like. I'm not sure why but one of the main reason there was two update kits is because they sent new torsional damper covers. One has to wonder if the moved anything centerline wise.

I am going to drill and tap a 3/8" BSP hole in the swing arm tube in line with the end of the diff coupling so that I can inspect the spline any time and will be adding some 220 industrial gear oil so it runs in a small oil bath. When I change my next tyre I don't care if it is a bit messy because I think the result will be worth it. I can't see that the thick oil will migrate too far forward but if it does I will just have to add a thin hose clamp to the boot. I have purchased an excellent secondhand drive shaft this morning.
Does anyone know the bearing sizes for the damper shaft.

Last edited:
I hate to be "that guy" again. You said you are planning on running some oil in the area of the rear spline ? I'm afraid the first time you apply the brakes that oil is going to end up at the front spline and that rubber boot isn't designed to hold oil.

Back