Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Clock

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

leatal

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Roadster, 2020 Rocket GT
Thinking about installing a 52mm gauge between the speedo and tach. Smiths flight series gauges (Www.digital-speedos.co.uk) look very close to OEM but give way too many gauge options for me to choose. So I need to gather a little knowledge from some of the sharpest Rocket Captains on the planet.

Most 52 (2&1/8") gauges are made and specc'd for cars - AND are far from being even water resistant.
And I know from experience those particular gauges are amongst them. First good spraying either from the sky or a hose and they'll fog up.

Sorry - but......... On a bike fit BIKE or MARINE gauges. It will save all sorts of hassles.

I thought Roadsters had clocks and vm's?

Well you seem hell bent on putting "a" gauge there, so since your Roadster has a clock, coolant temp light and an oil pressure light (crude as they are - only tell you something's wrong, not what the exact value is), that leaves 2 options on your list that could provide benefit.

What can the gauges do for you?

Voltmeter = tells you if/when your battery is flat or when your charging circuit (stator, reg rec) calves

Oil temperature = temp of oil... unless you're racing, not much benefit?

I would also look at VDO gauges (they make the OEM ones) to get closer matching ones. However they can be a deep gauge and need a deeper pod to mount

600-904_front.jpg

I use AEM gauges, they have black face, white digits and orange needle, just like the OEM gauges. Nice and shallow fit

AEM_analog_wideband_black.jpg

I'd vote for an AFR gauge, indispensable imo if you are doing any kind of intake/engine/exhaust mods

Voltmeter = tells you if/when your battery is flat or when your charging circuit (stator, reg rec) calves

Oil temperature = temp of oil... unless you're racing, not much benefit?
Voltmeters - HONESTLY I prefer something like Eclipse and Monsoon Battery Voltage Monitors - Waterproof Precise Durable | SparkBright

Depending on where you live - Oil Temp can be fairly interesting (ime) to keep an eye on. This may sound a bit odd - but the missus Citroen can sit all day at a steady 90°C Water temp - but the oil temp can vary hugely.

Those VDO gauges I think you'll find will also let in wet watery stuff. I have a Voltmeter we whipped from an Audi in a breakers. And somewhere a full set of Veglias from a Ferrari. None of them will be happy with a good wetting.

+1 on the Sparkbright ..... and he's Scottish too! :D

I think there is a missed opportunity for the after-market gauge guys - a comprehensive gauge featuring multiple functions but WITHOUT Speed/Tach does not seem to be in existence.
So they all aim mainly at the replacement market rather than 'additional accessory' functionality

Back