Thanks for your help. The lights do not go out. ....

If the lights do not go out, then the relay is not switching .......

... When I push the button and slowly release the clutch it cuts power to the starter relay.

Not following ...... in the first quote, you say lights not going out which means the relay is not switching - but in second quote, you say relay is switching and drops as you release the clutch lever ?????

Not following ...... in the first quote, you say lights not going out which means the relay is not switching - but in second quote, you say relay is switching and drops as you release the clutch lever ?????
Lights do not go out when I press starter button. When I pull in the clutch I can hear the starter relay, as I release the clutch I can no longer hear the starter relay.

I tested the starter relay and get 74 ohms between pins 85 and 86. With power connected there is 0 resistance between 30 and 87. With power still connected to 85 and 86 I connected power to 30 and it produced power to 87, enough to make my test light shine very bright but I did not measure with meter

Lights do not go out when I press starter button. When I pull in the clutch I can hear the starter relay, as I release the clutch I can no longer hear the starter relay.

That does not compute ....
The Starter Relay is a changeover relay
When un-energized, it provides power to the headlights;
When energized, it removes power from the headlights and transfers to the starter solenoid

Regardless of what you hear, if the lights are not going out, the relay is not energizing

Are you SURE the headlights are not going out?

That does not compute ....
The Starter Relay is a changeover relay
When un-energized, it provides power to the headlights;
When energized, it removes power from the headlights and transfers to the starter solenoid

Regardless of what you hear, if the lights are not going out, the relay is not energizing
Okay thanks. I'll try another relay

Well from your bench test, it sounds like your relay is fine - more likely the ECU is not enabling
Which means most likely clutch switch or battery volts (or neutral or side-stand interlocks)

Is your neutral light on?
Have you tried with side-stand up?
(that interlock is EITHER Neutral OR Sidestand-Up to enable starter relay)

Well from your bench test, it sounds like your relay is fine - more likely the ECU is not enabling
Which means most likely clutch switch or battery volts (or neutral or side-stand interlocks)

Is your neutral light on?
Have you tried with side-stand up?
(that interlock is EITHER Neutral OR Sidestand-Up to enable starter relay)
Clutch switch is working, installed new battery today and had tender hooked up with headlight fuse out. I tries with stand up, and also tried putting in gear and rocking a bit. When I re-installed the stock map this time it took about 8 minutes. When I tried a modified map it only took less than a minute. I have tried with a pc and android.

Back