2006 R3 - Battery, starter, neg cable...???

First of all if it cranks over all of your safety switches r working.
What we need to do is find out what is happing to the voltage.
For example the last guy i helped had 12.8 when he hit the starter it stayed at 12.8 because he had a problem with his pos cable.
Example u could 13 volts at bat and 8 volts at the other end of the cable.
Take one probe on neg bat post then place the pos probe on pos bat post then on the cable then on other end of cable. Then switch and check the neg side cable. If that checked out then try to start reading meter .
Post your volt readings and we will try to help.

Here is the voltage while cranking...

What gets me is the intermittent occurrences - if its ignition or regulator why does it charge , run and start strong after the ride ?

You have a not tight enough cable of a bad battery. Good resting voltage but no cranking power. This is the ultimate fix. Antigravity Batteries
ProductQuantityPrice
Antigravity Battery Tracker (LITHIUM)
  • Backordered:
1$35.99
OptiMate TM-291 Lithium Charger 5A 1$129.99
Antigravity YTX20 Lithium Battery - RIGHT side 1$409.99

You might say... daaaarn that't expensive but, a day of Grrrrr in the garage while everyone is ridding is priceless. I end up spending 100$ every other year in Yuasa. Not any more.

You have a not tight enough cable of a bad battery. Good resting voltage but no cranking power. This is the ultimate fix. Antigravity Batteries
ProductQuantityPrice
Antigravity Battery Tracker (LITHIUM)
  • Backordered:
1$35.99
OptiMate TM-291 Lithium Charger 5A1$129.99
Antigravity YTX20 Lithium Battery - RIGHT side1$409.99
The battery is a new gel battery with 280 CCA. Weeks old. I will check the other end of POS and NEG cables when I get home...

I dont have to tell u with that reading of 6.5 volts something is wrong.
So it might be time u take it back and have it checked. What they do is charge it up put it on a load tester and see if the bat goes down which u already did.
Not uncommon to get a bad bat.
As long as u checked this on the battery posts u have a bad bat.
Still possible for a bad bat cable/connector.
Yours is doing something i have not seen for example when mine drops below 10 volts the ecu/relays disengage the volts go up an it reengages so u get the click click click instead of the grown u have.
1st optionI would try to exchange the bat for another
2nd u could order the bat that some have had good luck with.
3rd u can go with the top dollar bat with accessorys.
Hth

I dont have to tell u with that reading of 6.5 volts something is wrong.
So it might be time u take it back and have it checked. What they do is charge it up put it on a load tester and see if the bat goes down which u already did.
Not uncommon to get a bad bat.
As long as u checked this on the battery posts u have a bad bat.
Still possible for a bad bat cable/connector.
Yours is doing something i have not seen for example when mine drops below 10 volts the ecu/relays disengage the volts go up an it reengages so u get the click click click instead of the grown u have.
1st optionI would try to exchange the bat for another
2nd u could order the bat that some have had good luck with.
3rd u can go with the top dollar bat with accessorys.
Hth
I had the probes on the connected POS and NEG terminals - thinking THAT is what outputs to the starter... So I should try again on the battery terminals only then check the other ends of the POS and NEG cables ? Guess I have to look for a manual to show where they end.

Back