2006 R3 - Battery, starter, neg cable...???

treycefus

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!
Ride
2006 R3
So I keep the bike on a trickle charger - or did. I have a bluetooth speaker set installed but disconnect it from the trickle charger connector when the bike sits overnight (so no draw there...). Yesterday I came out and 2 slow cranks then nothing. All lights came on and gauges reset. I disconnected trickle charger and reconnected and it read battery 95% charged and started charging. Came home at 4 pm and it fired right up. Rode an hour and shut off - restarted with no hesitation. Rode 10 min, same thing immediate restart , so parked overnight and DID NOT connect charger. 7am and 52 degrees F - same **** !!! Reconnected charger and will see the outcome at 4 pm. ANY IDEAS ??? I read about the 1.4W starter but is is not cold and started fine later on. What could be draining the battery or is it something else ?? HELP

Probably nothing draining the bat
U need to use a volt meter to find out what is going on.
The rockets need at least 10 volts to start.
U can have 12 then as soon as u goe to start if it goes to ten it is all over.

Anyone ever had a battery tender drain the battery ? I leave it overnight - no start in the morning, I leave it of the tender after a ride and she is starting STRONG and in the morning - 2 slow cranks and nothing. I put it on the tender and after work - it starts right up... I like troubleshooting but this is a head scratcher - if the tender charges during the day, why is it not keeping the battery charged at night EVEN if I did have a small draw (which I cannot think what it would be - I have no security and physically unplug the speakers at night !?!

Batterys have what they call surface charge where they will start all day but they next morning they r runned down and won't start.
U may have battery and cable problems.
And u need a volt meter.

Batterys have what they call surface charge where they will start all day but they next morning they r runned down and won't start.
U may have battery and cable problems.
And u need a volt meter.
I have one but what do I do measure for 12v with switch on and off ? Sitting and during start ? If it drops but not below 10v what does that tell me I need to look at?
Don't think I mentioned but on top of the new battery - I removed and cleaned terminal connectors with a steel brush and it helped the first time this happened weeks ago so I thought that was it but no...

I tightened my battery terminals with a socket wrench instead of a Philips screwdriver.... Much better. You just can't get them torqued right with a screwdriver.

Get a Battery Tracker from Anti Gravity Batteries. Best 40$ ever spent. Via Bluetooth know on your cell phone where your voltage and cranking amps are before you crank. Know if your magneto/stator is healthy at low and high idle. Know how much cranking amps you have and if there is any decay after cranking. Know if your battery tender is actually tending. Keep records over the course of a month.

Yesterday had an event of The Dreaded Click. Think the starter need to come off the the solenoid brushes need cleaning and re-aligning. Cable connections need cleaning and tightening. OOOrrr some other sensor is dirty. Crank position?

First of all if it cranks over all of your safety switches r working.
What we need to do is find out what is happing to the voltage.
For example the last guy i helped had 12.8 when he hit the starter it stayed at 12.8 because he had a problem with his pos cable.
Example u could 13 volts at bat and 8 volts at the other end of the cable.
Take one probe on neg bat post then place the pos probe on pos bat post then on the cable then on other end of cable. Then switch and check the neg side cable. If that checked out then try to start reading meter .
Post your volt readings and we will try to help.

So 13.4v reading before crank from terminal leads. Then cranking went down to 6.5v ! WTF ?? This is after a night of charging so the 13.4 sounded right, but what pulls it down that far and once I ride it fires easily the rest of the day. Then overnight back to this **** ???
Crank.jpg
Terminals.jpg

Back