r3badboy

Supercharged
Ride
06 Rocket 3 & all years parts built R3 & 06 flood
Howdy, removed starter motor on one of my Rockets & about a liter of oil poured out 🤷‍♂️
I haven't had this happen before? Is there a non-return valve where the oil tank fits to engine?
Anyone had this happen?
Cheers.

Howdy, removed starter motor on one of my Rockets & about a liter of oil poured out 🤷‍♂️
I haven't had this happen before? Is there a non-return valve where the oil tank fits to engine?
Anyone had this happen?
Cheers.
Personaly i would not worry about it especially if it has been sitting a while.

Personaly i would not worry about it especially if it has been sitting a while.
I started it about 4 weeks ago & only pulled starter out as I changed it to one of the other bikes to eliminate a problem.
Wasn't expecting oil to gush out & the bit that pi*d me off was it went all over my garage carpet 😂 I'll have to learnt to put a tray under it next time 😎

Yeah the bulk of the oil is generally held in the tank but if sat for a while it will drain down into the sump. Which is probably what happened you.
E.g. if you checked the oil level before you pulled the starter, the dip stick probably would have been dry. Run the bike for a minute, leave it settle for a few minutes, and check oil level and it would register correct level on dipstick then.

Yeah the bulk of the oil is generally held in the tank but if sat for a while it will drain down into the sump. Which is probably what happened you.
E.g. if you checked the oil level before you pulled the starter, the dip stick probably would have been dry. Run the bike for a minute, leave it settle for a few minutes, and check oil level and it would register correct level on dipstick then.
I'll remember that, cheers 👍🚀

Wait... Is this a common thing? What generation is this for? I've never seen any oil in the starter or flywheel. I'm assuming this is not for the 1st and 2nd gens as that would be a bad rear main seal... Just want some clarification

Wait... Is this a common thing? What generation is this for? I've never seen any oil in the starter or flywheel. I'm assuming this is not for the 1st and 2nd gens as that would be a bad rear main seal... Just want some clarification
It's an 06 standard. I haven't come across it before having 2 other rockets.

I have never taken the time to study the oil that gets in there just assumed it is supposed to be there because of the oring

I have never taken the time to study the oil that gets in there just assumed it is supposed to be there because of the oring
Apparently there's an oil check valve in the sump....which would make sense...but what would cause it to fail??

I can let mine set for a month and it will not drain down others will drain in a couple of days i have always changed my oil at 5000 mile but now I have a non working odometer

Back