2006 R3 - Battery, starter, neg cable...???

I bought a battery tracker, as recommended by Kevin for less than what the tech at the shop would charge to see if my stator was going bad. I'll tell you, this is a must have item to have. Out of sight, check your battery on the cellphone before every crank via Blu-tooth.

the head light is suppose to go out when it cranks.
may just need to charge with the right charger
WTH ? It is a gel… prefilled and charged. Ridden 309 miles. What does the charger have to do with it? I thought you told me I need a new battery ? I just installed a new one.

Trey; The Rocket is hard to crank. Even a new battery fully charged might miss the energy to start. I had been tightening my battery poles with a Philips screw driver. Not good enough I discovered. A dirty surface might not make a solid connection. A new battery, that might start any other bike, will fail to start the Rocket. It will click but fail to start. Not all Rockets are like that. Some folks report having the same battery for years without a problem. I am not in that category. Mine, at the slightest weakness, clicks and will only start if I jump it with the charger on. Once it starts and runs for a few minutes I'll turn it off and it will restart no problem. I have a weakness in the circuit somewhere. Fix it and it comes back.

There are some electro-experts in the group that might be able to explain this better. My most recent solution was to install a battery monitor that records the resting voltage, charging voltage, response to the stress of the start and available cranking amps. My voltages are good but the cranking amps fall to borderline. Battery is a year old, always on a good cycling charger. Also purchased a lithium battery with very high cranking capacity. Expensive but, I hope it fixes my problem. This is a vice on this bike. Just like the idle and surging throttle issues and solenoid issues and several other issues. When the bike runs, I kiss her. I know she will have problems again but, I forgive her. The folks here help a lot. There is nothing like the Rocket. Only the Valkyrie approaches it. Good luck.

Trey; The Rocket is hard to crank. Even a new battery fully charged might miss the energy to start. I had been tightening my battery poles with a Philips screw driver. Not good enough I discovered. A dirty surface might not make a solid connection. A new battery, that might start any other bike, will fail to start the Rocket. It will click but fail to start. Not all Rockets are like that. Some folks report having the same battery for years without a problem. I am not in that category. Mine, at the slightest weakness, clicks and will only start if I jump it with the charger on. Once it starts and runs for a few minutes I'll turn it off and it will restart no problem. I have a weakness in the circuit somewhere. Fix it and it comes back.

There are some electro-experts in the group that might be able to explain this better. My most recent solution was to install a battery monitor that records the resting voltage, charging voltage, response to the stress of the start and available cranking amps. My voltages are good but the cranking amps fall to borderline. Battery is a year old, always on a good cycling charger. Also purchased a lithium battery with very high cranking capacity. Expensive but, I hope it fixes my problem. This is a vice on this bike. Just like the idle and surging throttle issues and solenoid issues and several other issues. When the bike runs, I kiss her. I know she will have problems again but, I forgive her. The folks here help a lot. There is nothing like the Rocket. Only the Valkyrie approaches it. Good luck.
Thanks for that heartfelt comment. I put in the new 310cca battery and it fires no problem. I think I will stop using the trickle charger and see if perhaps it has a fault. Crazy that that last battery only lasted two weeks. Wal-Mart did refund it. Also have a new voltage regulator and negative cable on the way.

Glad u got it going
The trickle charger is good for maintaining a battery not so good in charging a new one or one that is run down

Thanks for that heartfelt comment. I put in the new 310cca battery and it fires no problem. I think I will stop using the trickle charger and see if perhaps it has a fault. Crazy that that last battery only lasted two weeks. Wal-Mart did refund it. Also have a new voltage regulator and negative cable on the way.
You are right. The chargers go bad. They are supposed to come on and off. If they stay on all the time they will damage the battery. I thought my regulator or stator were bad. The Battery Tracker solved that dilemma.

Searched for Battery Tracker - only available with Antigravity I see. Found the Lead-Acid model. Wouldn't this drain the battery powering itself ?

Last edited:
Back