1770s on a Touring

Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
I got tired of waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig on the 1770s, a set came up cheap here and I bought them. The angled flange lets them clear the tank. I may play with the angles some, but not much room over the back one to fit even a cut bear claw, but we shall see. Overflow tank came with a T bracket, the tank location may be only temporary, I may be able to fit it forward of the front filter, but it works for now. The filters definitely interfere with your left leg position, but I've gotten a couple 100 mile rides in, your "muscle memory", or whatever you want to call it, adapts quickly, you tend to adapt and forget about it.

Some velocity stacks and an airbox may be down the road, if I could move the filters 3" or 4" forward that would fix it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 405
Congrats on trying this. That back filter sure is a problem. How tall are you? I'm thinking at 6'2" I'd not like the interference.

Do you have any plans to test to see if the increased airflow leans it out any? Or to just add a bit of fuel to compensate.

I had the 2780s. I think they gave it all the air it could use without engine mods. But a trip to Carpenter after Maggie Valley made me want to try these. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam.

My buddy wants me to write "Nitrous" on the bottle, LOL, he thinks most dumbasses wouldn't know the difference.

I had the 2780s. I think they gave it all the air it could use without engine mods. But a trip to Carpenter after Maggie Valley made me want to try these. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam.

My buddy wants me to write "Nitrous" on the bottle, LOL, he thinks most dumbasses wouldn't know the difference.

Yeah that back filter does stick out, it looks like it might stick out even further than my RX4040's bit I am sure like me you got used to it it does not bother me as on longer rides I put my feet on the hey pegs and my knees sit under them and it I funny you say that about your coolant bottle as I have had a couple of jokers ask me if that was a nitrous bottle, I just laught and say it doesn't need it

Looks Great!:D
I put the 1770s on my classic a few weeks ago...Have them angled forward. I'm 5'9" and no clearance issues...I'd be skeptical of advising them for anyone over 6' tall, but you can cut the flange down a little and it might help. I did a clamshell cut of the bearclaw and it worked out great. Let me know if you want any pics or a template for the bearclaw. I mounted my overflow on the radiator; pretty sure it'll stay there, but still playing.

Pics would be cool, but the Touring tank and bearclaw are different.

Looks Great!:D
I put the 1770s on my classic a few weeks ago...Have them angled forward. I'm 5'9" and no clearance issues...I'd be skeptical of advising them for anyone over 6' tall, but you can cut the flange down a little and it might help. I did a clamshell cut of the bearclaw and it worked out great. Let me know if you want any pics or a template for the bearclaw. I mounted my overflow on the radiator; pretty sure it'll stay there, but still playing.
We Want Pictures Not Talk he he :D

Yup, that back filter wouldnt work for me...

Congrats on trying this. That back filter sure is a problem. How tall are you? I'm thinking at 6'2" I'd not like the interference.

Do you have any plans to test to see if the increased airflow leans it out any? Or to just add a bit of fuel to compensate.

I tried a few variations before I finally decided I had to go with the airbox in order to move the filters forward and I'm glad I did. I'm 6'2" and like my legroom. I really am more comfortable with my feet on the boards. I do have the road pegs but usually just use them to stretch my legs out for 5-10 minutes every half hour or so. I also wanted to keep the bike more tame looking. I love the looks of the fully exposed filters on the other Rockets but not so much on the Touring.

FYI,,,the filters didn't lean mine out, just a little more intake noise.

Tripps....why not just take the original coolant jug and put it up over the engine?? I chopped the tabs off and put it up under the tank...even used the OEM hose. Put a half pint of coolant mix in it and your good for the next three years or so.....unless you actually have a leak and then you know it because its foggin out the exhaust or pissin on the ground. Once you take out the rest of the OEM box and intake system there is plenty of room on top of the engine. Run the overflow over the LR of the cam cover. After riding....if your boot feels like someone just pissed on it....you have problems:D:D:D

I'll get her out in the sun today and take a few pics. Still need to find somewhere here to re-chrome the claw (it was a $20 salvage item I picked up but I got most of the damage out with the cuts, but had to grind down some that was left over). Still not satisfied with the overflow tank, but it looks like it'll be about 6 weeks until I can get some Pacific Blue touch-up paint here.

Back