cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Hi all. I've been trying to fire up my latest acquisition, the wrecked 2013 I bought. I wanted to make it run, before I store it away. Problem is, a lot of stuff is missing. Can't find the tip over switch, but from what I've read, it can be disconnected, and not effect anything? No voltage regulator. A lot of bare ended wires that I've been trying to identify, but the only wiring diagram I have is for the older Classic's or standards, and things changed a bit with the newer models. Engine will crank over by putting juice to the starter relay, and the engine sounds healthy, plenty of compression. However, I can not get any of the relays to click on, or nothing from the gauge cluster, which is partially crushed, and of course no spark. I do have power to the fuses, and have made a jumper for the ignition switch, as per diagrams found here on this wonderful site. I've decided to try to apply 12 volts to the ECM relay, to close it, and see what happens. So I know I'm close. Any of you wizards out there know of anything that would help me? Oh for the days of carburetors, points and condenser. Things were so much simpler back then.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

... Can't find the tip over switch, but from what I've read, it can be disconnected, and not effect anything? No voltage regulator.

The last part is related to the first - the TOS is mounted on top of the bracket for the R/R
You MUST have a TOS installed for the bike to be able to run.

Nice little project dude, assume you are using Roadster clocks & ECM.. among other things
Has your loom got the OBD connector?
12v at the purple wire on each clock?

Thanks for the diagrams, and the video. Exactly what I'm doing, even on a pallet too! And yes, Roadster clocks and the connector for the OBD got ripped off, but I have identified those wires. I'll check the purple wires next time I get going on it. I'm going to try putting 12 volts to the engine management system relay, to close it, and see if I get power to the clocks. These wiring diagrams you posted will help a lot, thank you. Now back to studying and tracing.:whitstling:

... Roadster clocks and the connector for the OBD got ripped off

It will not start without clocks connected - the ECU needs to see the CANBUS connection is complete.
OBD connector is not important as far as it running is concerned - weird one to be damaged however and you will it need for further diagnostics

Thanks, yes it was a big crunch. Everything from the engine back is gone. The 2 mounting holes on the left side of the block, are busted. That's how bad the frame got twisted. It and the poor rider apparently got shoved under what ever was in front of him, when he got rear ended. Kinda wiped everything off of both sides. Still have the relays (4 together) and 2 more, guessing one of them is a flasher. I can only stare at these diagrams until the lines start getting crossed. I'll get-er figured out sooner or later. I have my 2013 here that I bought brand new. Will have to pop the seat, and raise the tank, and see what's where, and what might be missing from the wrecked 2013. I just don't want to start cutting back insulation on the good 2013, to see color codes, etc. The speedo is pretty busted up, tach looks OK. I got the cables connected to both, but no 12 volts. From the way I understand it, it should not matter if the clutch lever, kickstand, or tip over switch is connected or not, it should still light up the clocks, and run the stepper motor when ignition switch is turned on "IF" things are right. right? And there is always the possibility that the ECU or something else important got fried from some of the other thins getting ripped off in the crunch.
1013181815.jpg
1013181815_Burst01.jpg
1013181815a.jpg

Nice little project dude, assume you are using Roadster clocks & ECM.. among other things
Has your loom got the OBD connector?
12v at the purple wire on each clock?

Please note there is a error in the key table to the wiring diagram. 3,4,5 are the Injectors not the coils, 18, 19 ,20 are coils.

IIRC it was @Mittzy who tested and found that the SPEEDO is the key part that has to be attached - and my guess is it has to be be fully functional too: as the ECU and SPEEDO need to communicate via CANBUS not merely have power.
@DEcosse mentioned this and I tried it on one of my R3R’s - will need a speedo fitted to start the engine but will run if you unplug the speedo

Back