Valve clearance check

By the way, if you use the aforementioned tool, control the condition of the metal on the legs, after several valves the metal cuts. The tool does not require precise adjustment, if you change the shims one by one, and not a pair, it will turn out faster ..

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_183719.jpg
    IMG_20200125_183719.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 64
It would be nice if you had someone close by that has done the job a few times. The kind of guy that has pulled the cams and replaced them along with making the proper adjustments and has the experience at replacing cam cover so it don't leak. I have no idea who this person may be but i bet if you thought about it you could come up with a name.
Sonny

For me using the tool works great on only a couple valves, but if that many are off I would rather check all clearances, write them down, remove cams and mike shims as I remove them from buckets and list in order. Then you can figure out what to buy. You might get lucky and determine a few you can use on other valves. I believe I paid $7- $8.00 ea. at dealer. Be wise to mike new ones to make sure they are what they say, things happen. Good luck, patience and effort takes luck out of the equation.

It would be nice if you had someone close by that has done the job a few times. The kind of guy that has pulled the cams and replaced them along with making the proper adjustments and has the experience at replacing cam cover so it don't leak. I have no idea who this person may be but i bet if you thought about it you could come up with a name.
sonny I would not impose. I need to do this. Should’ve installed the cams myself in the first place and I’m paying the price now.

Sets of 1" Japanese Std shims are sold by this guy on eBay he has dozens of sets of different sizes all miked with details of his micrometer and some actual versus stated printed sizes.

I found this text on an expensive shim dealers listings.
See our other listings for various valve shim sizes ranging from 2.50 to 3.10 .... we also have a limited quantity of other rare half sizes as follows: 2.58, 2.62, 2.68, 2.72, 2.78, 2.82, 2.88, and 2.92 ...as you may know, shim sizes are generally only available in .05 size increments (i.e. 2.65, 2.70, 2.75 etc.)

In the past, the only way to obtain in-between sizes was when a bike was brand new, off the press, when the factory sometimes installed shim sizes not normally available at the dealer to provide a perfect valve adjustment on the brand new engine. In most cases, shim sizes in the standard .05 increment range are adequate for performing a high quality valve adjustment within the specified range....but if you're one of those "perfectionists" who want it just right, here's your chance to do so. NOTE: NOT AVAILABLE AT THE DEALER!

Used shims sometimes available from other sellers can be quite a ways off the actual size stated on the shim if you can even read it!

So if you consider ALL of that on this other bloke's offerings.
27 sets listed of different sizes and numbers of shims with duplicates available too.

Lots of these are measured at the supposedly hard to find mid sizes much much cheaper than the first dealers offerings of single shims.

DO NOT BUY THE 1st set you see!

Check you clearances first and buy the smallest set that meets your needs.

READ his detailed descriptions too!

Sets of 1" Japanese Std shims are sold by this guy on eBay he has dozens of sets of different sizes all miked with details of his micrometer and some actual versus stated printed sizes.

I found this text on an expensive shim dealers listings.

So if you consider ALL of that on this other bloke's offerings.
27 sets listed of different sizes and numbers of shims with duplicates available too.

Lots of these are measured at the supposedly hard to find mid sizes much much cheaper than the first dealers offerings of single shims.

DO NOT BUY THE 1st set you see!

Check you clearances first and buy the smallest set that meets your needs.

READ his detailed descriptions too!
Ishrub you are truly a great help to people

Something that was touched on above, dealers will some times swap shims with customers for a small fee. ALWAYS bring your own micrometer and verify the thickness of the shims to you are buying. Because the cam rides directly on the shim, it is a wear item. Any shim that has been ran in an engine has probably changed size from what is marked on it.

Back