Valve Clearance 2018 RIIIR

Hello,
I have the above mentioned bike and I am at the 16,000 K mark and its time for maintenance, including checking Valve Clearance and make adjustments if needed.
So, advice. Kits? Difficulties? Opinions? I need to start this soon as I will be picking away at it, so it will be ready for our always late Spring..

All good advice pointing to information in @Kevin frazier 's post. I'll only add that if you haven't already replaced the stock air filter system NOW is the time to do it. Beyond the performance enhancement you'll have opened up room to do future maintenance AND you do not want to try to put that stock contraption back together. You'll know that once you start taking it off. RamAir or K&Ns.

Maybe this is obvious, but you'll want the tool for lining up the cams if you end up replacing shims. I think I saw on here recently that someone was making them. You may (?) be able to reuse the gasket. I'd have a new one on hand along with the gaskets that go under the bolts that hold the cover on and a dab of gasket sealant.

If you need a shim you'll have hit the jackpot if your local Triumph dealer has what you need- none of them carry them. Order and wait. Some early (80s - 90s) Hondas and Yamahas use the same 25mm size. You may be able to find them from their dealers.

In my experience if you don't plan ahead and have parts ready to go before you tear in, this routine job can go for weeks waiting on parts.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have the above mentioned bike and I am at the 16,000 K mark and its time for maintenance, including checking Valve Clearance and make adjustments if needed.
So, advice. Kits? Difficulties? Opinions? I need to start this soon as I will be picking away at it, so it will be ready for our always late Spring..
I checked mine 32000k , All good didn't need to adjust anything . Next time is 64000k , which will be next winter down time .

Right hear bud, a plethora of how to. And as he likes to say, nuff said. Thats kinda a joke. Oh pretty cool videos on you tube. Benny kamichi and R-111-R Turbo. Idk has a manual in his signature for free thats spot on. :thumbsup: You got this Cam Cover Gasket (again)
Oh no. So many options and opinions on gaskets. Does Triumph make a kit"?

Yep, 20K-Miles/32K-Km Here's the updated maintenance checklist the dealer sent me. ...and to be honest, that's probably a very safe zone as no company puts out a maintenance schedule that is towards the upper tolerance limit as they expect a fair number of folks will not get it done on time.
-MIG

Attachments

• Scheduled_Maintenance_Check_Sheet_V7_10000 miles_EN-page-001.jpg
    Scheduled_Maintenance_Check_Sheet_V7_10000 miles_EN-page-001.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
All good advice pointing to information in @Kevin frazier 's post. I'll only add that if you haven't already replaced the stock air filter system NOW is the time to do it. Beyond the performance enhancement you'll have opened up room to do future maintenance AND you do not want to try to put that stock contraption back together. You'll know that once you start taking it off. RamAir or K&Ns.

Maybe this is obvious, but you'll want the tool for lining up the cams if you end up replacing shims. I think I saw on here recently that someone was making them. You may (?) be able to reuse the gasket. I'd have a new one on hand along with the gaskets that go under the bolts that hold the cover on and a dab of gasket sealant.

If you need a shim you'll have hit the jackpot if your local Triumph dealer has what you need- none of them carry them. Order and wait. Some early (80s - 90s) Hondas and Yamahas use the same 25mm size. You may be able to find them from their dealers.

In my experience if you don't plan ahead and have parts ready to go before you tear in, this routine job can go for weeks waiting on parts.
There are quite a few shim kits on fleabay that should cover most of the range for approx $2.50 a shim.

Hello,
Dealers will tell you it's 20,000 miles so you have some time. 16,000 miles was the pre-roadster engine.

Back