Need advice. Found a low mileage 2011 R3 Roadster on Craigslist, but the valve cover gasket is warped.

TheTaylorEffect

Standard Bore
Hi Folks,
Not an R3 owner - but looking. In need of some advice.

I want to go back to a power cruiser after riding sport tourers for a few years - and found a 2011 R3 Roadster on Craigslist for $7500 with a little over 7000 miles on it. Owner just put new tires on it a few weeks ago. I spent several hours reading all of your helpful and informative posts to get a feel for the common problems before contacting the seller (and thank you all very much, there was a lot of great info on here!)

I went up last night with the standard "Craigslist motorcycle checkup kit" (flashlight multimeter, depth gauge, etc. )

Based on all the information I found here, the first thing I checked the valve cover gasket for weeping.

While there is no visible leak - the valve cover gasket is warping and bulging out. It's completely herniated over the front-most cylinder (apologies - not sure if thats Cyl1 or Cyl3). The warped gasket is looped out like a U to the point I could have fit an allen key through it and pried it out or broken it.

I wiped down the gasket seam with a clean rag and got a solid, thick, straight line of oil. There is no discoloration on the pipes or headers or the cast block, so I don't think the seal is broken but it seems close. I pointed it out the seller who appeared genuinely surprised. I told the seller I was going to pass for now based on the gasket and thanked him for his time.

I LOVED the bike otherwise. I'm a big guy and it fits me well and looks great. Having brand new tires is a huge plus - and the foot forward control kit has already been installed. The more I think about it the more I want it.

Should I try to get the seller down on price? Seems fairly straight forward to replace the gasket, but at the same time, I don't want to have constant anxiety about taking the bike on long trips and having it fail. Wondering what you would do if you were me.

Last edited:
Had the same problem. I cut off each side of the bulge with wire cutters, wiped the slot where the seal was suppose to be with a carb cleaner soaked rag, then applied a bead of black silicone in the slot, finally smooth out the bead with a wet finger. Been driving it like that for the last year with no problems.

Welcome to the forums, TaylorEffect
This Rocket sounds like it has a lot of potential. Make him an offer $6000.00. and use these concerns for your benefit.
AzRM
Mentioning the first stop is to the dealer for a repair which we all know is BIG $$$ (even if you don't). :whitstling: :thumbsup: Another thing to consider asking is if the ignition switch has been upgraded; a common problem on the early Rockets but I'll let others chime in as I have a '14 R3T (therefore, no experience).
...and WELCOME!
Good Luck!
-MIG

I think the Roadsters from 2010 had the ignition switch problem solved by rerouting the current for the headlight through a relay. @DEcosse can confirm. The valve cover gasket is a bit tricky to replace by yourself but is worthwhile doing because while doing it, you can get to those primary wires on the 3 coils and recrimp them tight. It's also an excuse to pull the intake plumbing (cleaning up the mess under the tank) and install a RAMAIR intake filter. 7000 miles, it's just broken in. I never thought of doing what @leatal suggested but that is one excellent option. The gasket is around $35 Canadian so not a deal breaker. It takes me around an hour to replace and that's taking my time. Being retired has it's perks :)

Oh... welcome to the asylum. You won't feel lonely here...

Hi Folks,
Not an R3 owner - but looking. In need of some advice.

I want to go back to a power cruiser after riding sport tourers for a few years - and found a 2011 R3 Roadster on Craigslist for $7500 with a little over 7000 miles on it. Owner just put new tires on it a few weeks ago. I spent several hours reading all of your helpful and informative posts to get a feel for the common problems before contacting the seller (and thank you all very much, there was a lot of great info on here!)

I went up last night with the standard "Craigslist motorcycle checkup kit" (flashlight multimeter, depth gauge, etc. )

Based on all the information I found here, the first thing I checked the valve cover gasket for weeping.

While there is no visible leak - the valve cover gasket is warping and bulging out. It's completely herniated over the front-most cylinder (apologies - not sure if thats Cyl1 or Cyl3). The warped gasket is looped out like a U to the point I could have fit an allen key through it and pried it out or broken it.

I wiped down the gasket seam with a clean rag and got a solid, thick, straight line of oil. There is no discoloration on the pipes or headers or the cast block, so I don't think the seal is broken but it seems close. I pointed it out the seller who appeared genuinely surprised. I told the seller I was going to pass for now based on the gasket and thanked him for his time.

I LOVED the bike otherwise. I'm a big guy and it fits me well and looks great. Having brand new tires is a huge plus - and the foot forward control kit has already been installed. The more I think about it the more I want it.

Should I try to get the seller down on price? Seems fairly straight forward to replace the gasket, but at the same time, I don't want to have constant anxiety about taking the bike on long trips and having it fail. Wondering what you would do if you were me.
Bought a gasket and watched a few utubes and changed it my self, mine started leaking bad. It wasn't hard but was a bit of a pain mark your plug wires and where ther go and getting the lid out can be a big pain but if ya pay good attention I believe one of the video dose a good job explaining how to get it out

Back