Uni Filter Flow Rate Comparo

SteveRed

.060 Over
JD and I picked up our triple filter pack from UniFilters this arvo ($50AUD = $36.80USD) and it took all of an hour and a half to fit them. We looked at the clamp style filters but were warned off them by one of the guys at unifilter who helped fit a set to another R3 (Wayne from Tuneboy!). So we went for the set with zip ties (part- RP605/3). They are bomb proof! They come packaged as a three set and are pre oiled.

You can order direct or if you think you might have probs... (You shouldn't though as they already have orders in for forty sets for Rockets)... I can possibly pick up a bunch and send them off.

FILTRATION QUALITIES:-

Polyurethane Foam (UniFilter):........... 4 microns
Paper:............................................. 30 microns
Cotton Gauze:.................................. 45 microns
Stainless Steel mesh:........................ 50 microns

NB- Engine wear starts at 17 microns!

FLOW RATES:- (some popular car and bike filters, conducted by HOT4s magazine)

K&N................................................. 168 CFM
UNIFILTER........................................ 167 CFM
SIMOTA............................................ 163 CFM
FF 02 RUSH....................................... 161 CFM
TRUST.............................................. 158 CFM
HKS POWERFLOW.............................. 156 CFM
LYNX PROTOTYPE.............................. 154 CFM
OBX HYPER....................................... 151 CFM

NB- The higher the CFM the better the breathability of the filter.

So we can see that K&N just pips Unifilter in the flow rate charts but doesn't filter as well. In fact K&N will let fine dust particles into the engine!

Shazam!! This is all new to me!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

What I haven't found info on, is how much less(or more) todays metallurgy wears compared to days gone by. Todays superior cooling and lubricating factor in somewhere I'm sure.

Very few folks seem concerned by particulate intact as evidenced by previous threads on the subject.

Good luck selling them on UniFilter SteveRed.:D

Last edited:
What kind of performance increase do you notice from installing these filters? Are any tweaks to any other systeme necessary once you install an aftermarket filter?

Rockit, it first thing I noticed was the bike seemed to rev a little quicker. With a more free flowing intake you can expect the bike to run a little bit leaner. This can be remedied with a PCIII or Tuneboy connection. I went from the 20050 tune to the 20054 tune prior to Tuneboy and didn't notice any difference. One thing I would do after making such a mod would be the 12 minute tune.

The "UNI" discussed in the ISO 5011 spec isn't the UNIFilter we are using, its not same cell structure oil etc etc.
Apart from the fact that doing this mod is cheap easy and effective, it makes the rocket air intake system what it should be.

Back