Ramair Filter HP Restriction

Penner

Supercharged
Ride
Honda Helix Kawasaki W800
I have done some tests recently with a tuned Rocket.
What I found was that the Ramair filter works pretty good up to about 170-180 rwhp and then starts to restrict power severely. (It is much better than the stock airbox and filter.)
If you are just doing some light tuning with exhaust and mapping you will be fine with Ramair.

Prost
Ulf

Ulf - I don't think Colin who designed it as a hobby design, would have expected that much tbh. 180rwhp is proper power.

I have never really found out why the RAMAIR "big boys" filter never appeared. And it would - I feel - be a bit rude to ask now.

I have seen the rough sketches and they used my bike to take measurements with a 3D arm.
I think proper business got in the way. They don't just do automotive stuff.

What I found was that the Ramair filter works pretty good up to about 170-180 rwhp and then starts to restrict power severely. (It is much better than the stock airbox and filter.)
If you are just doing some light tuning with exhaust and mapping you will be fine with Ramair.

Prost
Ulf

RAMAIR gets fitted this weekend, then Viking Exhaust in a few months...

RAMAIR gets fitted this weekend, then Viking Exhaust in a few months...

I'm on a similar journey. I've had Ramair on my classic for 6 months, love the noise. Combined with Decat it seems to respond better. I've just ordered Viking headers to combine with decat and slashed stock exhausts.
I will be adding a A/F meter just to get some real world figures and a bit of fiddling before dyno run

My goal is to get 150-160 RWHP, I think that is a good balance between good fun and not stressing the engine/drivetrain.

Only issue I had with RAMAIR is that its a bit snug under the claw, you can easily tear it if you lift the tank with the claw still attached.
I'm thinking of extending the mounts so the claw sticks out, may even let more air in :)

I'm on a similar journey. I've had Ramair on my classic for 6 months, love the noise. Combined with Decat it seems to respond better. I've just ordered Viking headers to combine with decat and slashed stock exhausts.
I will be adding a A/F meter just to get some real world figures and a bit of fiddling before dyno run

My goal is to get 150-160 RWHP, I think that is a good balance between good fun and not stressing the engine/drivetrain.

Only issue I had with RAMAIR is that its a bit snug under the claw, you can easily tear it if you lift the tank with the claw still attached.
I'm thinking of extending the mounts so the claw sticks out, may even let more air in :)
I also just received a PCV to go on shortly. My goal is simply a smooth efficient motor.

Prost
Ulf
Very interesting. I changed out my Ramair when I built my motor, not based on science or experience, but it looked like to me it wouldn’t flow enough to make 200hp. I wonder if the K&N 4040-1 filter flow enough for 250hp?

Back