Triumph is in trouble

This is why Triumph have recently partnered with Indian company Bajaj to competitively enter this market
And not Just Triumph. Will this result in Bajaj-engineering?

Quite a few Indian riders have thoroughly recommended I rent the Bajaj Dominar 400 in preference - rather than the RE.
I can see @idk squirming. Stop it man - you'll go blind!.

The RE 650's are imo interesting. Though I find my 1979 Guzzi (with comparable power) a bit hampered for prolonged fast highway work now. Cars are faster than they were in the 70's-80's - and electric ones are all torque. Wild off the lights!.

The new Indian RE bikes are every bit as modernity hampered as modern Triumphs. Wanna sell in the EU? - they need to be.

Been reading up on the financial condition of Triumph and it is not good. The money and time spent up grading the Bonneville's did not work out so well with sells. The new rocket is not selling very well either. Company moved just about everything to Thailand. Most parts are now made in Taiwan. Kind of blows any hope of a touring model being introduced. Triumphs sells were off prior to Covid -19 and the company is in really bad shape now. So they cut cost by moving to Thailand and saved a bunch in labor but still charge over $21,000 for the new Rocket? From what i read the only thing British about the bike is the name. Really sad when you think about it.
Sonny, I’m not so sure about your claim that the new model is not selling well. In Australia the new Rocket came to the market in February just before the onset of the lockdowns of covid19. This of course derailed sales of everything except dunny paper, sanitiser and face masks but I am told the R3GT was sold out and it won’t be until Sept before new shipments land in Australia.
Sales statistics across all mftr’s and classes for the first half of 2020 will make interesting reading when released.

Been reading up on the financial condition of Triumph and it is not good. The money and time spent up grading the Bonneville's did not work out so well with sells. The new rocket is not selling very well either. Company moved just about everything to Thailand. Most parts are now made in Taiwan. Kind of blows any hope of a touring model being introduced. Triumphs sells were off prior to Covid -19 and the company is in really bad shape now. So they cut cost by moving to Thailand and saved a bunch in labor but still charge over $21,000 for the new Rocket? From what i read the only thing British about the bike is the name. Really sad when you think about it.
This is true of every manufacturer. It’s all a gamble, with reduced units sold, it’s impossible to reduce unit cost.

$21k for a new Rocket? Compare every manufacturers flagship bike and you’ll see it’s right in the middle. Everything cool is expensive!

Where I believe Triumph is failing is dealer network. Can’t sell what not available for sale man!

Dave I'm not sure what is your meaning. I have a library of books on the history of Triumph and am not aware of any German involvement. If so, the Coventry and Meridan factories are decidedly British, as well as Hinckley. Am I missing something in the history of the marque? I'm disappointed that Triumphs now are made in Thailand but I guess that's the way of globalist outsourcing. One of Kawasaki's most popular bikes, the KLR, has been built in either Thailand or the PI for years. I can't recall which.

It's a different world.
Are you buying your books from the dollar store Mike:roll: Triumph does indeed have a very strong German connection?

Are you buying your books from the dollar store Mike:roll: Triumph does indeed have a very strong German connection?

Oh, many sources over the last 50 years or so. Presently have about 50+ shop/parts/original owner manuals, plus quite a few books on development and production. I used to be interested in that stuff and I believe I must have read about Bettman and Shulte, way back when, but had forgotten that. Bettman was head of the company until about 1930 I just read. My primary interest were in Sangster and Turner, post 1930

Back