Triumph is in trouble

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Been reading up on the financial condition of Triumph and it is not good. The money and time spent up grading the Bonneville's did not work out so well with sells. The new rocket is not selling very well either. Company moved just about everything to Thailand. Most parts are now made in Taiwan. Kind of blows any hope of a touring model being introduced. Triumphs sells were off prior to Covid -19 and the company is in really bad shape now. So they cut cost by moving to Thailand and saved a bunch in labor but still charge over $21,000 for the new Rocket? From what i read the only thing British about the bike is the name. Really sad when you think about it.

only thing British about the bike is the name. Wrong as it was two Germans who started Triumph so that leaves nothing British.

Dave I'm not sure what is your meaning. I have a library of books on the history of Triumph and am not aware of any German involvement. If so, the Coventry and Meridan factories are decidedly British, as well as Hinckley. Am I missing something in the history of the marque? I'm disappointed that Triumphs now are made in Thailand but I guess that's the way of globalist outsourcing. One of Kawasaki's most popular bikes, the KLR, has been built in either Thailand or the PI for years. I can't recall which.

It's a different world.

They originally began in Germany 1883. Here's a pic of German bike. Later German bikes where labeled TWN on tank which stood for triumph works nuremburg.

Attachments

• 6236357026_8e68d21639_b.jpg
    6236357026_8e68d21639_b.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 43
all of the bike manufactures are feeling it sales were down before covid; it will take at least probably a riding season before a potential uptick to occur. The country is at 40 million unemployed that is not good for motorcycle manufactures.. i think triumph is in decent shape from an operating expense standpoint compared HD for example.

The Bloor family have done well for Trumpets so far. 400 job losses - yup that's tough. But it's not just bikes. Most "non essential" sales have been hit hard. Nissan have shut factories - And it will not surprise me if one or two more have to close. Bike shops here are only just starting to open up. No point in making bikes if nowhere can sell them And a large number of folk have (through enforcement) discovered a "new" way of life. COVID has most certainly had huge effects - and (IMO) not all are negative.

Wanna make money - sell hand sanitizers. Or face masks.

Triumph like Harley has a major Achilles heal - No small bikes. I know most of us don't look at them, but they are bread and butter for countries like China and India where quite a few folk (sic) with modest incomes live. Countries where despite public transport being heavily subsidized, the coverage in rural areas with poor utilities need cheap, tough transport. BMW do make scooters and sell quite a few. And KTM? - well here there are baby KTM's everywhere.

But here's the dilemma. The small bike market is HIGHLY competitive, and has no brand loyalty to speak of. It is about price, reliability and comfort. So margins have to be low, and turnover is poor. The Indians and Chinese dominate it. They are somehow able to turnaround designs and features much faster than most. And the Indians seem capable of turning "conventional" production theory on it's head. Same quality, but with amazing simple tech solutions. Often using manpower.

And these folk do not want RETRO looks. They want all mod-cons. Retro is what is already there - and still works. Also, contrary to popular belief, countries like India and China are starting to impose Euro(x) style emissions limits.

I confess to being a member of a dying breed - we, Gentlemen, are dinosaurs. Trimph, like us - has to adapt or die.

Dave I'm not sure what is your meaning. I have a library of books on the history of Triumph and am not aware of any German involvement. If so, the Coventry and Meridan factories are decidedly British, as well as Hinckley. Am I missing something in the history of the marque? I'm disappointed that Triumphs now are made in Thailand but I guess that's the way of globalist outsourcing. One of Kawasaki's most popular bikes, the KLR, has been built in either Thailand or the PI for years. I can't recall which.

It's a different world.

They originally began in Germany 1883. Here's a pic of German bike. Later German bikes where labeled TWN on tank which stood for triumph works nuremburg.

Looks like you are both wrong. ;) :roll::roll::roll::roll::whitstling:
Bicycle and Motorcycle production started in England by German immigrants. Initially exported and then production of both also occurred in Germany in related companies after commencing in England.

Origins[edit]

The company was started by Siegfried Bettmann, who had emigrated from Nuremberg, part of the German Empire, to Coventry in England in 1883.[2] In 1884, aged 20, Bettmann had founded his own company, the S. Bettmann & Co. Import Export Agency, in London. Bettmann's original products were bicycles, which the company bought and then sold under its own name. Bettmann also distributed sewing machines imported from Germany.

In 1886, Bettmann sought a more specific name, and the company became known as the Triumph Cycle Company. A year later, the company was registered as the New Triumph Co. Ltd,[1] now with funding from the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company. During that year, another native of Nuremberg, Moritz Schulte, joined the company as a partner.

Schulte encouraged Bettmann to transform Triumph into a manufacturing company, and in 1888 Bettmann purchased a site in Coventry using money lent by his and Schulte's families. The company began producing the first Triumph-branded bicycles in 1889. In 1896 Triumph also opened a bicycle factory in Nuremberg.

In 1898 Triumph decided to extend production at Coventry to include motorcycles, and by 1902 the company had produced its first motorcycle—a bicycle fitted with a Belgian Minerva engine.[3] In 1903, after selling more than 500 motorcycles, Triumph began motorcycle production at the Nuremberg factory. During the first few years the company based its designs on those of other manufacturers, but in 1904 Triumph began building motorcycles based on its own designs, and 1905 saw the first entirely in-house designed motorcycle. By the end of that year, the company had produced more than 250.

In 1907, after the company opened a larger plant, it produced 1,000 machines. Triumph had also initiated a lower-end brand, Gloria, also manufactured in the company's original plant.

Confusion between motorcycles produced by the Coventry and Nuremberg Triumph companies resulted in the latter's products being renamed Orial for certain export markets. However, a company named Orial already existed in France, so the Nuremberg motorcycles were renamed again as "TWN", standing for Triumph Werke Nürnberg.[4]

Last edited:
Back