Trip through Colorado - altitude?!

germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
I’ll be headed out to Colorado for a weeklong ride this summer. I currently live at about 600’ elevation and will be spending most of my time in Colorado at 6000’-10,000’.

My understanding I’d trust I should expect a decrease in horsepower. Is that accurate? Anything else?

Thank you !

You'll lose some power, but it's not so much you will care, especially on a Rocket. I've been there three times and it's awesome. You will spend most of the time on mountain roads cruising rather than hurrying because the scenery is just that good. Places like Pikes Peak and Rocky Mountain NP have speed limits of 20-30 anyway.

Check for road closures before you plan your route and during the trip. The last time I was there in 2020, there was lots of rain and mud slides caused road closures. We had to modify our route on the fly a couple of times to detour around them or change a section of our route completely.

You will probably feel the effects of the altitude more than the bike. Read up on altitude sickness so you can recognize the signs and get lower if you need to. You do not want to get sick up high and get airlifted lower and leave your bike behind.

bob (former RN in the mountains of Montana)

You will probably feel the effects of the altitude more than the bike. Read up on altitude sickness so you can recognize the signs and get lower if you need to. You do not want to get sick up high and get airlifted lower and leave your bike behind.

bob (former RN in the mountains of Montana)

I have pretty bad COPD, I didn't even notice going over the highest pass in the Rockies, but that was 6 years ago, I probably would now.

Back