incidental backfire through airbox/filter

Kievit

Rocket on wheels
Ride
Triumph Rocket touring stripped/customized '11
Three years ago I rebuilt a damaged Touring to my own taste. I mixed a lot of selfmade parts with the touring and also bought a variety of parts of the classic. I immediately replaced the airbox with the ramair-filter and after some difficult tuning the bike performes quite okay. There is one point of annoyance, however. Especially when I hit the throttle at low speeds abruptly, the engine sometimes gives recoil through the air filter. I thought the ramair filter caused this but the problem's still there after installing the original filter. It has become less than with the ramair filter, but it still exist. Does anyone recognize this problem?
I changed is back tot de original airbox because i had this theorie that the flow into the ramairfilter isn't stabil enough...i guesed the flow comes from everywhere and mixes up the inlet sensor. I does however not solve the problem. Can it be timing, ignition, sensors (anyone familiar with bad performing air inlet sensor?) or do i miss things?

In my experience, the random backfire through the air box stopped when I fitted a cat delete crossover pipe

DeanO,
Please explain to me what a cat delete crossoverpipe means? Ik usealy make my own exhaustsystems out of scrap. The two exhausts in the picture are connected in between with a self made rvs-can with a diameter witch measures about 20 x 14 cm's. Worthwile making another connection?

and...Kevin...you think the ramairfilter can't be the cause?

I have this happening to my 06 classic I just look at it as a hiccup.

Hasn't blown the ramair off the bike yet so not concerned about it.

I also had this happen to me. First I made and fitted a cat delete. That helped but didn't completely got rid of the problem. Then I found out that one of the spark plug leads were cracked and once that was replaced, the problem was gone.

Yeah pretty sure, lot of people use the RamAir with only positive results. I havent read of one causing a problem.

You stated, (after some difficult tuning) in your description, can you elaborate on the difficult tuning part. What tune is in that touring?

Back