Please advise - about to leave on a trip - how concerned shall I be?!!

Hey, guys! Sorry for the lack of an update. I'll try to make this succinct:

I ordered the new bolt and washer. When it arrived I took the old one out and a few things to note:
- I had just had the oil changed 1000 miles before and the oil looked like this:
IMG_2194.jpeg

- The bolt was also missing the required o-ring, so this all makes me wonder what kind of "oil change" the Triumph dealership actually did. :rolleyes:

When I pulled the bolt out, the bolt itself looked ok - one sharp edge, but the washer was destroyed. Upon further investigation, the threads inside the sump plate were stretched on one side:
IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

I showed my buddy who owns a machine shop and he told me he wanted to have a go at it before I ordered a whole new sump plate assembly. He ended up putting a new sleeve in the sump plate with a slightly large bolt:

IMG_20230809_123817494.jpg

So, instead of buying a whole new sump plate, I only had to buy the gasket and the 21 "one-time-use" sump plate bolts as well as all new drain plugs and washers, and new bolts for the oil pick-up covers. It turns out a lot of these bolts are NOT to be reused. It seemed like a racket to me, but I read some horror stories of these snapping off upon reuse and I did NOT want to have to go down that road.

I used this template for torquing down the bolts - hopefully it is helpful for someone else:
IMG_0051.jpeg

So far, everything seems to be holding up great! Did my own oil change (you kinda have to with the sump plate off!) in the process and feel good about how everything turned out. The most frustrating part of the repair was waiting for bolts to come in the mail from Triumph as my bike sat on a stand!

Thank you guys SO much for your willingness to help in my time of need! This is a great group!

I ordered the new bolt and washer. When it arrived I took the old one out and a few things to note:
- I had just had the oil changed 1000 miles before and the oil looked like this:
IMG_2194.jpeg

- The bolt was also missing the required o-ring, so this all makes me wonder what kind of "oil change" the Triumph dealership actually did. :rolleyes:

When I pulled the bolt out, the bolt itself looked ok - one sharp edge, but the washer was destroyed. Upon further investigation, the threads inside the sump plate were stretched on one side:
IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

I showed my buddy who owns a machine shop and he told me he wanted to have a go at it before I ordered a whole new sump plate assembly. He ended up putting a new sleeve in the sump plate with a slightly large bolt:

So, instead of buying a whole new sump plate, I only had to buy the gasket and the 21 "one-time-use" sump plate bolts as well as all new drain plugs and washers, and new bolts for the oil pick-up covers. It turns out a lot of these bolts are NOT to be reused. It seemed like a racket to me, but I read some horror stories of these snapping off upon reuse and I did NOT want to have to go down that road.

I used this template for torquing down the bolts - hopefully it is helpful for someone else:
IMG_0051.jpeg

So far, everything seems to be holding up great! Did my own oil change (you kinda have to with the sump plate off!) in the process and feel good about how everything turned out. The most frustrating part of the repair was waiting for bolts to come in the mail from Triumph as my bike sat on a stand!

Thank you guys SO much for your willingness to help in my time of need! This is a great group!
Thanks for the update. I’m a backyard mechanic/machinist and that would be how I would repair it.👍

IMG_2194.jpeg

IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_0051.jpeg

Don't sue me, but I've found that with Triumph ANY/EVERY bolt that has Loctite on it is listed as a must replace bolt.

Also, most of us don't replace the washers when doing oil changes either, but of course not when they've taken a blow like that one.

Glad you got it going- good solution!

Back