Transmission Failure

Graeme

Standard Bore
Hello to all,

Today I was riding my 05 rocket up to Queensland which is about a 900km trip. I got 70km's from home riding. I was in 5th gear. I just wanted double check it was in 5th gear, when I went to check the gear lever was limp. I was unable to gear up or down, I was stuck in 5th gear. I have taken the bike to the triumph dealer where I purchased it from.

They reckon something has sheared off inside the transmission casing. It is approximately 15 hours work to remove the engine and fix it. At a 100 dollars an hour plus parts it is going to be very very expensive. I bought the bike 2nd hand with 6500 km's on it. I have kept it immaculate and serviced regularly by a licensed repairer. Can anybody offfer me some advice about any recalls triumph may have had in relation to this type of failure.

Regards
Graeme
Australia

The skinny......

What happened is either the detent bolt backed out (because it's not properly locked at the factory) or the detent spring failed. Both parts are in the recall by the way (from what I was told).

I'm 99% sure it's under warranty. '05's, actually any year up to mid '08 are the subject of a silent recall for a number of problems and Triumph is supplying the parts and paying dealers a flat rate to effectuate the repairs.

There are a few problems. One, Triumph is paying a flat rate time for the tear down, repair and rebuild and it's actually not enough time and two, because the time paid is lacking, not all dealers are willing to do the repair. Remember, all dealers are independent franchise's and not 'company stores' so it's at their discretion to play dumb ..... Plus, you need a dealer with the expertise to do the job because it's very involved, requires a complete tear down and inspection of the internal parts as well as replacement of the effected parts and a rebuild.

Sadly, you are going to have to 'shop around' to find a competent, willing dealer because, in all honesty, the repair is not a profitable one for the franchisee, thus, the hesitant or 'I don't know anything about it' attitude. It's understandable. Dealerships are in the business to make money, they aren't charitable institutions.

Triumph needs to increase the flat rate time to cover the repair from the marginal rate it presently is, to a time rate more conducive for a dealer to at least break even, but that's between Triumph and the independent dealer, not me.

I discussed it with 3 dealers here in the States before I settled on one dealer and subsequently had the repair done. Mine is still at the dealer as I haven't collected the bike yet.

Hi Flip, I just purchased an '06 classic with the second gear pop out problem. Where do I go to get information about the silent recalls you mentioned ?

Bill.

Sorry to hear the bad news, dealers hear in West Australia quote 20hrs @ $110 to remove engine then parts on top + extra time.
When my 2007 (39000km's) output bearings went Triumph Australia were not interested, their response was it's out of warranty, I was not the original owner and the bike was modified.
So best of luck with dealing with Triumph, let us know how you go.

Hi Flip, I just purchased an '06 classic with the second gear pop out problem. Where do I go to get information about the silent recalls you mentioned ?

Bill.

Might just be your detent spring .if you go to the search button and type in detent spring hopefully the information there will help you . It is not an uncommon problem

When my detent spring failed the symptoms were popping out of gear (any gear) and into nuetral unless I kept pressure on the shifter lever with my toe. If yours is stuck in 5th sounds to me like it could be a different problem, just my opinion

It is just popping out of 2nd gear under hard accelloration and it has to get over 4,500 rpm before it pops. No other gears involved. The previos owner said it had been doing this for about 8,000 miles. I was wondering if going into the detent spring would solve the problem. How do you go about replacing the detent spring ? Would this be a worthwhile endever to try ?

Idaho, those were my symptoms, exactly.
I have an 08, had the update installed in 09.

It fixed the popout as you describe, but added slop in the driveline in the first 3 gears.
As in, on/off throttle below ~2300 rpm causes a distinct jerking,
both accel and decel.

I don't believe my detent spring was busted, so yours may not be either.
The tech told me they halved the number of engagement dogs in 2nd gear to eliminate the popout.

It is just popping out of 2nd gear under hard accelloration and it has to get over 4,500 rpm before it pops. No other gears involved. The previos owner said it had been doing this for about 8,000 miles. I was wondering if going into the detent spring would solve the problem. How do you go about replacing the detent spring ? Would this be a worthwhile endever to try ?

Detent spring isn't the problem. Second gear failing is the classic transmission failure before Triumph came out with the upgrade kit. JROC is on the mark. It will take splitting the cases to fix the problem. Try asking Triumph if they will warrant it. They did mine in 08 on my 06.

Back