Jamie

Living Legend
Not exactly a "new thread", I am afraid: 2nd gear is popping out again under acceleration. The same unpleasant symptom and undoubtedly the same mysterious shifting mechanism problem that developped during the summer of both 2005 and 2006... Each time, the green machine had to stay in the dealer's shop for 5 to 8 days.

It has less than 23'500 miles on it, meaning a failure every 8'000 miles.

And warranty expired last Fall.

Am not amused:( Jamie

Jamie,

Are you running a stock bike? Triple filters? Aftermarket exhaust?

Also, would you mind commenting on your riding habits.

I've got a 2005 and am just a bit curious about your situation. Are you riding an '05 or '04?

Appreciate it.

You might check with your shop... In the car biz repairs are warrantied for 12 months/12,000 miles and basically it is called a "Parts warranty". This also may be a situation for a "Goodwill" repair since they have had two chances to fix it previously. You never know... there might be a "silent" recall on this particular problem also.

Jamie,

Are you running a stock bike? Triple filters? Aftermarket exhaust?

Also, would you mind commenting on your riding habits.

I've got a 2005 and am just a bit curious about your situation. Are you riding an '05 or '04?

Appreciate it.

October '04. Basically stock, except for the TOR-compatible tune, Mad Dog pipes and under-the-seat K&N filter.

My riding habits :confused: The've got nothing to do with the failure. That was confirmed by the dealer in connection with the two previous warranty repairs.

Jamie

My hunch is Triumph will take care of this because its an ongoing problem that began well before the end of the warranty period, and it apparently is the result of a manufacturing defect. I will be dissappointed in Triumph if they don't come through for you Jamie.

Left the bike with the dealer on Mon.16, i.e. two weeks ago. He called up last Fri. around 11:00 (I had evidently expected such a follow-up call much earlier) to tell me that it would be ready before noon. Unfortunately, I was already on my way (driving) to Southern France with my wife and one or our relatives.

And the dealership is having a one-week summer shutdown this week, meaning that I'll remain deprived of the bike until Aug. 6 p.m.

I bear no grudge against him. And I am sure he did all he could. But I feel I am entitled to some disappointment about the bike itself. After all, this is the third 2nd gear popping problem AND the third 2-week machine down situation I have endured in less than 3 years of ownership.

Sulky Jamie:eek:

Last edited:
Green Machine tranny is fixed

Got it back today. All costs absorbed by the importer and/or the factory, outside of the elapsed two-year warranty:). For which I am thankful. Have nevertheless asked for a private meeting with the dealer principal to try to figure out what went wrong, the reason (s) why and the nature and extent of the (third!) repair.

Thanks for your support and, in particular, to Hombre for his PM testimony.

The green machine will soon (next Oct.) be entering its 4th year of ownership. Am gonna hang on to it. Jamie:cool:

... just a thought

Not exactly a "new thread", I am afraid: 2nd gear is popping out again under acceleration. The same unpleasant symptom and undoubtedly the same mysterious shifting mechanism problem that developped during the summer of both 2005 and 2006... Each time, the green machine had to stay in the dealer's shop for 5 to 8 days.

It has less than 23'500 miles on it, meaning a failure every 8'000 miles.

And warranty expired last Fall.

Am not amused:( Jamie

If the previous problem was fixed with parts that have broken again, check the warranty on the parts ...

Also, check your local "lemon" laws to see if repeated failures of the same kind might be regulated. You would probably have to demonstrate there's no bike abuse, which is difficult to do.

Back