bullwinkle

Standard Bore
Hello. Just bought my 1st Triumph- R3T 2008. My soft ties won't fit around the triple tree without scuffing the fork chrome covers. Suggestions please. Love the bike, so much like the Valks that I owned previously with much more power. :)

Hello. Just bought my 1st Triumph- R3T 2008. My soft ties won't fit around the triple tree without scuffing the fork chrome covers. Suggestions please. Love the bike, so much like the Valks that I owned previously with much more power. :)

I haul bikes all the time. I hauled my R3 Classic 650 miles one way to Marne, Iowa this winter to get rebuilt, broght the trailer back home and loaded 3 vintage bikes, a Norton, a 60's Triumph and a 60's Matchless and too all 3 back out to Marne...650 miles again and then brought my R3 back home. My R3 travelled 1300 miles on the trailer so I'd say I have plenty of experience, besides, I trailer my sidecar outfit all the time....

Get yourself a Canyon Dancer bar harness and tie the front down with that. It fits on the handlebars like a set of Chinese handcuffs. Pull the front down but leave just a slight bit of travel in the front forks. If you don't, you'll pop the fork seals.

I use Canyon Dancers all the time and on the rear, I use the straps plus sections of heater hose so as not to mar the paint or the chromework.

I always use ratchet straps, not the cam lock types and I always zip tie the loose ends rather that tying them.

I've always tied onto the handle bars and not the triple tree. That will give move options and is no less rigid.

Now if you're going to try to tie into the top of ape hangers, don't follow this advice.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Bullwinkle.
I've never had a valk, but I'd like to ride one.
They do look good, but I think you'll be happy with your new sled.
Your dealer makes ALL the difference, as you'll notice how far Flip had to go to get one he trusted.
Again, welcome.

Trailer tie down for the R3T

Thanks to all for the response. Friendly group compared to the H-D forum. I'll try to find the Canyon Dancer set up in the web. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for the response. Friendly group compared to the H-D forum. I'll try to find the Canyon Dancer set up in the web. Thanks again.

I believe if you Goggle up Canyon Dancer, you'll find a number of online sellers that have them. I have 3 in my tie down box.

I think HD riders are friendly...They never wave so they must be pre-occupied or something. I see 'em on the side of the road often. I figured they were waiting for someone to come by to talk to.

Trailor tie down for the R3T forks

Love your sense of humor. I always waved. Noticed today while riding the the R3T that H-D riders didn't wave back. Never experienced that before because when you drive an H-D , all other H-D drivers would wave. Culture shock. Thanks for your reply. Did find them on-line and am wondering if you used a ratchet tie down if it would pull the handlebars downward. Or, if you used the cup model , would that damage the end weights?

Comming from the hardly world to the R3, that was the first thing I noticed. No waves from guys I'd passed a hundred times before and always got a wave from.
No big deal i wave at em anyway, I even wave to sport bike riders. Most of them don't wave either, but I figure its cause they're hangin on for dear life.

Love your sense of humor. I always waved. Noticed today while riding the the R3T that H-D riders didn't wave back. Never experienced that before because when you drive an H-D , all other H-D drivers would wave. Culture shock. Thanks for your reply. Did find them on-line and am wondering if you used a ratchet tie down if it would pull the handlebars downward. Or, if you used the cup model , would that damage the end weights?

I always use ratchet straps. The cam lock straps that are advertised for motorcycles are junk. I use 4 straps per bike, no exceptions, even if I'm hauling 3 bikes at a time. It's 12 straps but I'd rather have 4 each than lose a bike. I keep 16 sets of straps, 16 ratchets, 3 Canyon Dancers, 20 sets of radiator hose protectors and a bundle of zip ties in the tool box all the time.

Here's my take on waving....

When I ride my Bonneville with the sidecar...everybody waves and stares, even people in cars wave and smile.....

When I ride the Rocket...HD riders sometimes wave, the ones who don't are always frowning...I guess it's a HD thing, you have to look bad ass when on a HD.....Some sport bikes wave, most regular, non HD riders wave......

When I ride my KLR..... Nobody waves. They all ignore me and if I get behind a HD on the KLR, they do everything they can to make sure I never pass them. The only people who wave are Beemer GS riders, other KLR riders and anyone riding a dualsport. We all know that getting 60 mpg and having a bike that will go anywhere anytime is the way to go. We all keep it a secret.:D

I've never held it against any HD rider, owning an HD. Somebody had to support the Motor Company and buy ancient engineering for an inflated price. I guess that's why they all look pissed off.

Back