As mentioned, the important part is survival. About 12 years ago I was riding my last day of a 3+ week vacation in Mexico. I had spent my previous night in Creel,Chi. and planned to stay in Hermosillo for my last night before crossing back into the US. WAYYYY out in the boonies on MX Hwy 16, I come around a corner and am staring at a little import car completely in my lane. This sh*t-for-brains is passing a slow moving freight truck and is not going to stop. I moved over and tried to stay on that little strip of blacktop between the white line and the dirt but it was really uneven and now I’m in the rough stuff between the asphalt and a steel barricade. Bouncing up and down I find myself belly-down SIDEWAYS on the seat of my ‘09 HD Ultra with my helmeted face a foot from the top of the guardrail. The next bounce threw me OVER the guardrail. I remember my hip hurt a ton but when I raise my head (lying on my back) I see my feet are facing the same direction. I stand up and I’m 20-30 feet down a grassy embankment, jeans torn and I’m dirty but I can walk. I go back up the embankment and a Mexican I had passed 20 minutes prior is parked at the guardrail asking me if I’m ok. I said ‘I seem to be’. The bike had slid along the guardrail with the right fairing lower wedging itself under the guardrail until it stalled, upright. I took a bunch of photos of myself and the bike but they’re on the computer back home. The Mexican and I freed the bike from the guardrail. I travelled the next day to Phoenix for AZ bike week but the Ultra looked like a rat bike for the duration. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger they say!

Just realized it happened 10 years ago because it was on the inaugural trip on my ‘09 Ultra. I had the repair parts sent to my buddy’s place (Navigator) and there were plenty! It took about 3 months to get the coloured parts from HD. One positive result was I was able to make a deal with the Mexican insurance adjuster so that they gave me the money for the total parts repair (I waived the labour costs) but I bought some Road Glide parts that fit the Ultra AND had a custom paint job done on the fairing

Dear elcanaco,
I be wondering about your avatar . . .

canaca
1 (chino) Chink (vulgar); Chinese
2 (dueño) brothel-keeper; (burdel) brothel

Which are you? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I feel very lucky because my wife was not on the back!!! She was going to go but wanted to go shopping instead. I went over the wind shield and landed on my back in front of the bike-- but yes any time you walk away is a blessing!! I am going to take a brake for a time and then we will see. I thank you one and all for your comments and concern . I am on a job about 75 miles from home so when I get home it's late and to be honest I hate seeing all the parts in my garage! I will clean up and post in the for sale section. PCV, mustang seat, mustang tour pack, D&D pipes and viking cross over.

Back